Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Chevy Tahoe LS intermittent start issue

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2018, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Chevy Tahoe LS intermittent start issue

Hi everyone. I've got a 2002 Chevy Tahoe LS 4WD 260,XXX miles or so. Aside from the 71 K10 I had when I was a kid, it's the only Chevy I've owned. I freakin love this thing. It's been super dependable and aside from tires, brakes, battery and a fuel injector it hasn't required any major maintenance for the 60K miles I've put on it.

I'm experiencing intermittent starts which really has me scratching my head. Unlock the truck, key in ignition, gauges all light up like normal. Go to roll the key over and nothing. Dash lights dim somewhat like the starter is putting a load on the battery, but doesn't spin. Tried the normal things, clean terminals on the battery, good battery.

When this happens, I usually just walk away. Come back in an hour and the problem has resolved itself. Truck fires up right away. It doesn't happen often, maybe one out of 200 starts. What's most puzzling is that I can cause this to happen (more like my kids can) by opening one of the passenger doors before I get the engine cranked up. This usually results in me shouting as I open the drivers door "don't open the door until I get the truck started". Heh

This leads me to think it's something with the security system, but aside from google searches while I'm stuck at a gas station, or the beach with 4 kids climbing around the Tahoe for an hour, I haven't spent much time researching what it could be.

Would love to hear any feedback!

Matt
Old February 18th, 2018, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Sounds like time for a new starter, especially if current one is original equipment