Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Back up camera power

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2018, 10:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back up camera power

2011 Express van with auto headlights:
Can I pull the power for a wireless back up camera from the license plate light as the lights are on any time the camera would be used? Power needed is minimal as it only has a 22ga wire. Thanks
Old October 21st, 2018, 12:27 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see why not, but why hack it?

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/med...ans_100813.pdf

For the cost of wire, you could run a lead from the camera to the underseat fuse box as designed. Look up the termination pins required and order it from the appropriate supplier. Do not let those factory harnesses intimidate you. They are actually well thought out and able to be modified/changed easier than you think. This providing factory wires are not already there.

https://www.eficonnection.com/home/c...inals-and-pins

I had links for good suppliers, just about any pin you would need, but I do not have it handy at the moment.

Last edited by dberladyn; October 21st, 2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old October 21st, 2018, 3:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure you can get power at the license plate all the time. I don't know about the 2011, but my 2016 runs the headlights only during daylight, and even then, only when it's in gear. A sensor determines when it's dark enough to run the running lights, and keep the headlights on when not in gear.
Old October 21st, 2018, 10:50 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you are right. There is no power there all the time. Only when the Park Lights are on. Park Lights are different from Day Time Running Lights.

If you are just looking to hack your wiring so it works, you need to tap into the Reverse (Back Up) Light power. That way your camera is powered when the truck is in reverse.

Last edited by dberladyn; October 21st, 2018 at 10:53 PM.
Old October 26th, 2018, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tapped into the right backup light above the light assembly connector so the light assembly could be removed. Works fine. Thanks