Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

1992 G20 steering wheel "airbag"? removal

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2019, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 G20 steering wheel "airbag"? removal

Hello everyone. This is my first post on this site. I have a problem on my 1992 G20 van conversion.
First off... I lost my keys 4 days ago, and after spending hours and hours looking for them I decided yesterday they are no where to be found, so I decided to replace the ignition lock cylinder. I already have the new cylinder/keys, and as I've done this a few times on various Chevy's, I have a lock plate removal tool, and the knowhow/tools, but this one has presented me with the first obstacle. I've searched the web for 4 hours and can't find a thing about removing the "cover" in the middle of the steering wheel on this particular year. Here is the problem.

This model has a one piece column cover behind the steering wheel. So, the only way to remove the cylinder is to remove the steering wheel etc. However, right from the get go, I can't figure out how to remove what APPEARS to be an airbag cover. Unfortunately, I can't find any info whatsoever, and considering the consequences, I don't want to just jump in and try to "pry" this cover off, as this appears to be the only way to remove it as there are no screws behind the steering wheel. This may actually be just a horn activation cover or something, but that's why I'm here. I'm at a dead stop until I figure out what this cover actually is, and how to remove it. I did remove the negative battery cable but I'm completely stopped at this point. I really need to fix this asap as I have a surgery scheduled in two days 60 miles from my home. And this surgery is significant and timely due to a medical condition. So, if anyone has any info on this problem I would be forever grateful.

As for removing the steering wheel, I'm pretty confident it is similar to many videos on other years/models. So, unless I run into something I can't figure out, removing this cover or airbag thing is the only info I need at this time. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by fitz74; January 19th, 2019 at 1:50 PM.
Old January 19th, 2019, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Nevermind. As luck would have it, my neighbor knew the answer. Done deal. It just popped off. No airbag. Time to get this done.
Old January 19th, 2019, 8:30 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

I was about to say, the center cap just pops off and the rest is pretty easy if you have the tools.
Old January 26th, 2019, 4:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was interested in this thread because I have a 1994 G20 with airbag. I busted the turn signal mechanism so now the left turn signal doesn't turn off by itself. I also don't have working cruise control right now. I noticed at the base of the steering column some of the wires have been spliced. I'm considering putting a new wire harness in the steering column to eliminate those splices and see if that gets the cruise to work. my other option is to take it to a steering column shop. I have a steering wheel puller and the tool needed to remove the plate and retainer clip underneath. Dealing with air bags is beyond me.
Old January 26th, 2019, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Hello jimmydriver. The airbag issue was my prime concern. Fortunately, mine doesn't have one. But during my research, I found there are a few things you MUST do to insure removal of it doesn't cause a disaster. For instance, first off, disconnect the ground battery terminal. Second, find the fuse that is directly connected to the air bag and pull it. Further than that, I can't help you. But the internet is you best friend. I have read there are really very few info on this issue. Needless to say, pulling a steering column is a very serious and time consuming project. Personally, I would venture to say, it appears your turn signal cam might be the problem, and changing it out is not as serious as changing out the whole column. I would also suspect, the turn signal ARM assembly might be bad, which is a much simpler replacement than the column, which really has nothing to do with the assemblies that can cause this. If it were me, I would pull the steering wheel and adjacent components, and really LOOK at the cam assembly. Even to the point of regreasing the little nylon snap detents that holds the switch positions in place. Even on mine, it was apparent the old grease was dry, and movement of the cam from left to right was a drag on the movement. All I can say is... look, look, look. I'm sure this is a connection in the round nylon cam assembly, as it is the only thing within the column enclosure, other than wiring down further, that could cause this. But this is part of the overall picture of the turn signals. I would begin there and dismiss each correctly component and work on down the line, maybe with a multimeter. Suffice to say, this **** isn't easy for laymen. But if you have the tools to pull the steering wheel... by all means, start there. My best advice without being there.

PS... I just reread your post and the word... "splice" was a red flag.In my mind, opening this splice, and checking every single connection would be my first choice of action. Hope this helps.

Last edited by fitz74; January 26th, 2019 at 7:28 PM.
Old January 27th, 2019, 7:18 AM
CF Pro Member

My first G-van was a '95 with airbag. Unlike later ones they're pretty simple, because the column is still the basic same old GM column dating back to the early 1980s. I put a tilt in that one out of another 95 from the junkyard and it was no big deal.

Airbag wires are all bright yellow. You can pull the fuse, or unplug them at the base of the column, then ignore it for a day or two. Once the charge is gone they're okay to handle. Then the rest comes apart like anything else, the airbag/horn button unit is held in place from the back with screws or small bolts (I forget which). The only major difference inside the column is a clockspring for the airbag under the steering wheel (maybe under the lock plate).

Frankly for what a used column costs I'd swap the whole thing before I messed with internals. But they're like $25 used at the closest yard to me. Thats why the tilt wheel was a cheap upgrade at the time. The only catch for you is you're likely limited to 92 or 93 through 95 only for a direct swap, some of the wiring connections change prior to that.
Old January 27th, 2019, 8:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't going to do anything about the cruise problem until the turn signal problem showed up. If I get a used steering column then I have to deal with the lock cylinder. I'm going to wait for warmer weather. + something is draining the battery now that it is frigid outside. I put a trickle charger on it. There is also some noise from under the hood that sounds like a bearing. If I have to swap the water pump I'll do that way before anything else. This will all keep for now.
Old January 27th, 2019, 11:25 PM
CF Pro Member

Lock cylinder is easy. One bolt, slides out, no key needed. Have to take the lock plate off and the turn signal switch needs to be removed enough to get it out of the way.