Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Dragging noise associated with braking ...

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2019, 8:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Dragging noise associated with braking ...

started a few days back.
It sounds to be the right front and only happens at 5 mph or less.
I do not notice any difference in stopping ability.

The only sounds that it reminds me of are rusty rotors or a seized caliper.

- I have been driving daily, there is no visible rust, and it sounds like only one wheel, so I discount it being rust.
- The sound stops when pressure on the brake peddle is released, so I am not suspecting a seizing caliper.
- There is no reason to believe the brakes have worn down since last inspection.
- Brake fluid is full.
- I do not see any marks (lines) on the outside rotor face visible through the wheel. Of course if it is something hitting a rotor disc it is could be on the inside face.

Looking for ideas before I have to pull the wheel in freezing winter weather.
Old January 29th, 2019, 8:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

If it's not the brakes, then it could be a bearing. Jack it up, but before you remove the wheel, grab it on one side and try to give a wobble, then rotate it a few times.
Old January 29th, 2019, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If the sound stops when you release the pedal, but makes the sound all the time then there could be something preventing the caliper from floating properly. My guess is the slide pins. When were the pads last replaced? Did you clean all the surfaces and lube with brake lube?
Also, like joe said, a bearing noise will sound raspy and may be more noticeable at lower speeds than at higher. My 2013 needed front bearings at 130K kms. The sealed units don't last nearly as long as the old bearing hub rotor assembly ones did.
Old January 30th, 2019, 3:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You should be able to see the back side of the disc from underneath.
Old February 3rd, 2019, 5:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what little trouble it is, jack it up wiggle the wheels from side to side to see if there's play in the bearings (Good advice). Then take the wheels off. clamp down the calipers and take the slide bolts out . clean slide bolts with cleaner spray and dry. Chuck them up in a drill one at a time. hold sand paper on bolt while it spins to make the surface smooth. Make sure pads are thick enough. Reassemble while applying grease to slide bolts and the surfaces the calipers slide on. The sound should go away. If the pads were wearing unevenly it's a good sign that the calipers were not sliding or you need to bleed them.
Old February 14th, 2019, 4:17 PM
CF Active Member

Default Not the bearings ...

Originally Posted by canucklehead
If the sound stops when you release the pedal, but makes the sound all the time then there could be something preventing the caliper from floating properly. My guess is the slide pins. When were the pads last replaced? Did you clean all the surfaces and lube with brake lube?
Also, like joe said, a bearing noise will sound raspy and may be more noticeable at lower speeds than at higher. My 2013 needed front bearings at 130K kms. The sealed units don't last nearly as long as the old bearing hub rotor assembly ones did.
The brakes only make the sound when I am coming to a stop and then it only starts about 5 mph going down to zero.
This is a used van and I have yet to do any break work on it, except checking the pads for thickness when I rotate tires.

I finally had dry semi-warm weather to look more closely at the front right wheel.
- No bearing noise. I do notice a dragging sound when I rotate the wheel backwards - but not forwards.
- Rotors look smooth.
- Nothing caught in the gravel/dirt pan.
- There is a small 1/16" (minus) delta in the thickness of the inboard pad, from top to bottom, the bottom being the narrower. This same delta is in the expansion sleeve over the caliper bolts.

What I am seeing tells me the caliper bolts hold the caliper together and are not slide pins. Though the expansion sleeve says otherwise.
The only thing on the pads that I see that slide are top and bottom 'rails' that the pads hook over.
I need to find a brake pad replacement guide so I know better how the pads and caliper work together.
Old February 14th, 2019, 6:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by tbb2
- No bearing noise. I do notice a dragging sound when I rotate the wheel backwards - but not forwards.
Did you check for play?
Old February 14th, 2019, 6:52 PM
CF Active Member

Default dragging nosie may be ABS system ...

After doing some cleaning the pad guide rails with denatured alcohol I took the van for a drive to see if there was any improvement.
Since it was warm, and I was listening for the noise specifically, I rolled the windows down on the driver's and passenger side.
I can not hear anything outside. The sound is inside the cabin.

Not hearing what I thought I would hear through the window and not seeing anything that I would think makes the dragging/grinding noise I started doing a search
(2003 chevrolet express brakes dragging just at very slow speed)
that lead me to a problem in the ABS system. Searching
(what does ABS activation feel sound like).
I found this video that captures the sound.

So it the ABS sensor is the next candidate.
Old February 16th, 2019, 7:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i own 4 vans and i have had the same problem with 2 of them.....it turns out the rear emergency brake pads came off of the shoes and were dragging....i could only hear the problem when driving slow.........check your emergency brake pads.....
Old February 18th, 2019, 4:20 PM
DWB
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also had the same noise from the rear drivers side. Sounded like something was dragging. It went away on it's own??? Maybe the pad sticking???