Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

No fuel to the carburetor

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2019, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No fuel to the carburetor

Our g10 van stalled on the way home from work and originally we thought maybe it ran out of gas (the gas gauge doesn’t always work) so we got gas and it still didn’t start. Figured out it wasn’t getting gas at the carburetor so we changed the fuel filter, still won’t start. Tried to change the fuel pump (mechanical) and the rod wouldn’t go up. We tried installing an electric fuel pump but it seems like we are still not getting fuel to the carb. We are going to drop the gas tank and check the pick up screen to see if it is blocked. Does anyone else know if it could be something else that maybe we are missing?

Thanks in advance — with Tim Johnston.
Old February 17th, 2019, 6:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

why did the rod not go up.....bump the motor...it may have been on a pump stroke for the pump.....also you can remove the block plate ...remove the rod....cover the rod in grease....that will hold the rod up in the motor...then reinstall plate then pump....you usually have stalling issues if the screen is clogged....and some electric fuel pumps wont be be ale to suck the fuel up the feed line........change the mechanical pump then use starting fluid to start it until the new pump primes and fills the carb.....
Old February 17th, 2019, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

We did bump the engine several times it did not budge. I will see about removing the rod.

Originally Posted by loopedr1
why did the rod not go up.....bump the motor...it may have been on a pump stroke for the pump.....also you can remove the block plate ...remove the rod....cover the rod in grease....that will hold the rod up in the motor...then reinstall plate then pump....you usually have stalling issues if the screen is clogged....and some electric fuel pumps wont be be ale to suck the fuel up the feed line........change the mechanical pump then use starting fluid to start it until the new pump primes and fills the carb.....
Old February 19th, 2019, 3:29 AM
CF Junior Member

If you have a 350 v8 there are 2 bolts on the frount of motor in line with the rod , i forget right now if it's the bottom one or the one right above it , but if you remove it and thread in a longer one you will see it threads all the way through the block . You then can insert the pump rod and finger tighten that bolt and it will hold the rod untill you get the new pump installed then just put the right bolt back in. It's easyer then grease and beleave me it's tuff installing pump in that tight area. I hope it's not the exsentric inside has given up the ghost and only a bad pump . [is hard to get a good one that last more then a year unless napa starts gitting them from china too]. Good luck . P.s. Could try removing fuel line at carb and putting it into like a can and rolling motor to see if you get gas to there because maybe the neddle valve is just stuck or chunk of dirt is blocking it. Been there , done that , lol.
Old February 19th, 2019, 8:01 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

did you take the fuel line off the carb and see if its spitting out fuel?
Old February 19th, 2019, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

We kind of checked the line at the carb when we replaced the fuel filter but I think it would be good to look at again. Also, thanks for the advice for the rod we will try all these suggestions thank you.