Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Replaced fule pressure regulator now engine dying after start

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2019, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced fule pressure regulator now engine dying after start

First time poster here so here goes.

I just replaced my pressure regulator on my 99 chevy suburban. I was having issues starting it and would have to crank it with the peddle to the floor to start it. I got it replaced and everything put back together. Went and turned it and it started up after a bit. Then turned it off and tried again and it started right up! Success I thought. A few days later I went out and tried to start it cold and it started right up. I hadn’t actually driven it get. When I did it was no go. It starts fine but when I press the peddle down the Rpms drop. If I start it and leave it running, after about 10 seconds the idle starts dropping till it dies. After it dies it starts back up fine but the gas pedel doesn’t increase the rpms. looking for some advice on where to start. I thought it might be the MAP seal which was old and a little damaged when I put it back into the manifold but I replaced it and there was no change. I’m thinking there might be a vacuum issue or air/fule mixture issue. Any help or advice would be great. I’m going to post a video of the issue to help better show what’s going on.
Old March 16th, 2019, 2:07 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenlantern77
First time poster here so here goes.

I just replaced my pressure regulator on my 99 chevy suburban. I was having issues starting it and would have to crank it with the peddle to the floor to start it. I got it replaced and everything put back together. Went and turned it and it started up after a bit. Then turned it off and tried again and it started right up! Success I thought. A few days later I went out and tried to start it cold and it started right up. I hadn’t actually driven it get. When I did it was no go. It starts fine but when I press the peddle down the Rpms drop. If I start it and leave it running, after about 10 seconds the idle starts dropping till it dies. After it dies it starts back up fine but the gas pedel doesn’t increase the rpms. looking for some advice on where to start. I thought it might be the MAP seal which was old and a little damaged when I put it back into the manifold but I replaced it and there was no change. I’m thinking there might be a vacuum issue or air/fule mixture issue. Any help or advice would be great. I’m going to post a video of the issue to help better show what’s going on.
Did you bleed all the air out of the system?
Old March 16th, 2019, 3:00 PM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Did you bleed all the air out of the system?
Yep, use the test port on the rail to bleed the air and I bet you'll be fine.
Old March 16th, 2019, 8:32 PM
CF Beginner

I did bleed the line, only gas came out. Here is a link to the videos (for some reason I can't upload them.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...uD?usp=sharing

any other ideas?
Old March 16th, 2019, 8:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

When in doubt with fuel issue, replace the filter first.
Old March 17th, 2019, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

I don’t think it’s the filter but I will give it a try. Like I said in my first post, it would run fine before I replaced the fule pressure regulator It just had troubles starting. Now it starts great but won’t run 😡
Old March 17th, 2019, 2:31 PM
CF Active Member

Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Old March 17th, 2019, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

When I turn the key on and open the test port gas squirts out. Is there another way of testing the fule pressure?
Old March 17th, 2019, 10:17 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

with a fuel pressure tester
Old March 17th, 2019, 10:21 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Greenlantern77
When I turn the key on and open the test port gas squirts out. Is there another way of testing the fule pressure?
You need to put a guage on it. Most auto parts stores will loan one. I forget what the specs are for a vortec, but they require alot more pressure than a tbi or carb.