Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

I Replaced the Heads and Don't Remember This

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2019, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Replaced the Heads and Don't Remember This

I recently replaced the heads on my 86 G20 with the 5.7L 350, and I've got everything put back together for the most part. I kept a journal of everything I disconnected or moved in order so I could do the same things in reverse. The journal got soaked however, so there has been a lot of Haynes/Chilton and forums usage to try and retrace my steps. My question now is what is this? Is this a coolant temp sensor?

And I have a vague memory of this going straight into the passenger side head. Does this look like the correct spot, the flush bolt in between the two head bolts?

Thanks!
Old March 23rd, 2019, 6:13 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

try the drivers side head
Old March 23rd, 2019, 6:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
try the drivers side head
It's a mirror image but the wire won't reach where the flush bolt is. Between the number 1 and 3 cylinder.
Old March 23rd, 2019, 7:12 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

missed the part where you siad you replaced the heads. yes thats the CTS and yes the heads are mirror images, take the plug out of the passengers side head and put the sensor in, you prob want to use some sort of sealant thats meant for high temps. i used a paste on my cummins and ive used tape with no issue but many say not to use tape. im used to working on trucks and on trucks the CTS is in the drivers side head but im guessing vans are a little different
Old March 23rd, 2019, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
missed the part where you siad you replaced the heads. yes thats the CTS and yes the heads are mirror images, take the plug out of the passengers side head and put the sensor in, you prob want to use some sort of sealant thats meant for high temps. i used a paste on my cummins and ive used tape with no issue but many say not to use tape. im used to working on trucks and on trucks the CTS is in the drivers side head but im guessing vans are a little different
Awesome, thanks!