Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

04 no start when hot

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2019, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 no start when hot

I have searched through the many great threads on this forum for an answer. I see a few have had this but no one has responded. I have a random no start when engine is hot. I drive it to temp, go in a store for <30 and I get a crank no start condition. I I have put in a new fuel pressure regulator and that worked for about three days. A new pcv valve and tube with new grommet and hoses, that worked for a few days. I found a damaged (not completely broken) whit wire on my TPS I replaced the connector to that and again for about 2 days no problems. I cleaned all fuel management sensors and connectors and no change there. I connected my scan tool and no issues found. Could this be a vapor lock situation? Will replacing fuel pump help this? I will check to see if spark is present the next time it wont start.. Will an cam or crank sensor go bad with out throwing a code?
Old March 24th, 2019, 6:32 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

the cam and crank sensors get weak and cause a no start issue. could be a poor connection and that may not cause a CEL
Old March 24th, 2019, 9:05 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd Fuller
I have searched through the many great threads on this forum for an answer. I see a few have had this but no one has responded. I have a random no start when engine is hot. I drive it to temp, go in a store for <30 and I get a crank no start condition. I I have put in a new fuel pressure regulator and that worked for about three days. A new pcv valve and tube with new grommet and hoses, that worked for a few days. I found a damaged (not completely broken) whit wire on my TPS I replaced the connector to that and again for about 2 days no problems. I cleaned all fuel management sensors and connectors and no change there. I connected my scan tool and no issues found. Could this be a vapor lock situation? Will replacing fuel pump help this? I will check to see if spark is present the next time it wont start.. Will an cam or crank sensor go bad with out throwing a code?
How many miles does your vehicle have on it? Yes, you definitely want to check for spark.
Old March 24th, 2019, 9:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

put a fuel pressure gauge on the system and run the engine...shut it off and check for pressure bleed down. if it leaksdown….it can only go:
-back to the tank from a bad fuel pump check valve....typically this would cause an extended crank cold
-into the manifold thru the fpr
-into the combustion chamber from leaking injectors.
Old March 25th, 2019, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Fuel pressure koeo was at 22psi, replaced fpr and holds at 44psi. I will double check this since its been a few weeks since my last test. The van has 245000 miles.
Old March 25th, 2019, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

I will also add that when the engine does finally fire it has a one time backfire type sound from the exhaust. Kinda like it was flooded.
Old March 25th, 2019, 4:48 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

44 is still low, should be 52-60. prob need to replace the pump and filter. my o2 ran ok with only 22 psi but try to pass someone and wouldnt go anywhere
Old March 25th, 2019, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Todd Fuller
I will also add that when the engine does finally fire it has a one time backfire type sound from the exhaust. Kinda like it was flooded.
leakdown into the manifold or cylinders is flooding...hence the hard restart. after a hot soak...try restarting it in clear flood mode. if it starts better...your on the right track.
Old March 26th, 2019, 1:22 AM
CF Beginner

What is clear flood mode?
Old March 26th, 2019, 8:46 AM
Super Moderator

wide open throttle...gas pedal to the floor....crank until it starts....when it starts...release the pedal. this will shut off the injectors when cranking.

Quick Reply: 04 no start when hot