Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

4L60E upshifts slowly when shifting manually

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2019, 9:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4L60E upshifts slowly when shifting manually

I originally posted this on the HPTuner forum. Had a lot of lookers but no takers.

I recently purchased a low mileage, well maintained 2011 5 cylinder Chevy Colorado with the 4L60E transmission. The transmission works very well EXCEPT when it is shifted MANUALLY. Shifting 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd takes about a half a second. Shifting 3rd to 4th takes a full second. Yes, the Colorado has a column shifter and in the near future I'd like to put in a floor shifter (not the H3 conversion). However if shifting MANUALLY is always going to be so slow, the floor shifter seems pointless. Can manually shifting a 4L60E be speeded up??? Any relevant ideas or tuning advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old June 17th, 2019, 2:05 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

4th being OD i wouldnt really want to be shifting too hard into it. might be able to put in a shift kit that would increase the line pressure and firm up the shifts a little but i dont think youll get what youre looking for.
Old June 17th, 2019, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not shift firmness or quickness I'm concerned about when the TCM is in control. I can modify those parameters with my HPTuners editor. It's shift speed when manually moving the shifter from one gear to the next that I need to speed up. I like to use engine (compression) braking like you would with a manual transmission. I put the shifter in 3rd around town and in 2nd in parking lots or traffic jams. Shift time when manually moving the shifter to the next gear takes WAYYYYYY to long. I guess I'd like to convert the 4L60E to a "shiftable" automatic like the vehicles that have the +/- mode build into their shifter. Maybe a "stand-alone" performance controller or some magical TCM tuning. SOMEONE MUST HAVE SOME IDEAS!!! Thanks.
Old June 21st, 2019, 12:59 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think you are going to get any better out of the 4l60e.

Not sure if they are still made but there used to be paddle shift kits for this trans. There are also gpio controllers you can get for them.