Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Replacing Idler Arm

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2019, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Idler Arm

I need to replace my idler arm, and at 214k miles, think I should replace the idler arm bracket assembly, as well. I prefer to replace with Genuine OEM parts and am trying to verify part numbers. Local dealers refuse to give me the part number (which I actually think is illegal), and instead of seeking legal action against them, thought maybe someone on here could help me with the part numbers.

While I can buy the idler arm and idler arm bracket assembly separately, it appears that GM sells both together in a kit, which is GM part number 19178433. Some websites say that the kit will fit my Suburban, and some say it won't. I can see the casting number on my idler arm and it is the same as what's in the pics of the kit online, but I cannot see the casting number on my idler arm bracket assembly without removing it from my Suburban. Does anyone know if the part number will fit my 2000 Suburban 1500 4WD, VIN#3GNFK16T0YG154041? Thank you.
Old July 20th, 2019, 12:46 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Take a piece of thick paper or flashcard and place it behind the housing. Using something rigid like a paint stirrer or pencil that will fit between the housing and frame, rub the card against the numbers to transfer them to the paper. If there was enough dirt and grease on them, you should be able to make out the numbers in reverse on the card.
Old July 20th, 2019, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that tip. Have you done the idler arm and bracket replacement before? If so, do you happen to know sizes of the bracket bolts and nuts, and nut holding the idler arm onto steering center link?
Old July 20th, 2019, 5:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I haven't had to do anything with them on mine. Probably the only part I haven't replaced on it