Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Source for Body Control Module?

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2019, 5:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Source for Body Control Module?

What are my options for getting a new, reliable, programmed, Body Control Module for a reasonable cost? My interior lights turn off randomly as well as my radio. I believe these all get powered by the BCM.
Cheers, Steve
Old July 22nd, 2019, 6:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

As you're driving down the road? The BCM has timers in it to shut dome lights off after you shut the vehicle off, and allows the radio to play for 15 to 20 minutes(again, after the key is off)
Old July 22nd, 2019, 6:25 PM
CF Active Member

While driving, the radio will turn off half a dozen times during the course of a day. I opened the van last night to turn off the fridge and the lights stayed on for about 20 seconds. I closed the door, reopened, and no lights. The van is on a charger so the batteries were not dead. This was my parents van and when I opened the BCM back then to look inside and I recall there being some sort of electrical problem that was obvious under visual inspection.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 8:20 PM
CF Veteran

I'd start by looking for a bad/corroded ground. What year/model are we talking about?
Old July 22nd, 2019, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

radio fault is not bcm related...rap should not be initiated with the engine running...the lights maybe bcm related.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

It helps people a lot if you give some details. At least a year.
The cheapest BCM you're gonna find is at the wrecker or if someone is parting out a van. Crapshoot if it's going to work with your configuration though. (unless your van is from early 90's)

Originally Posted by SteveROntario
I closed the door, reopened, and no lights.
That could be something as simple as a door switch.

Radio could just be a loose wire. Get in there a with $10 multimeter first before you go spending 100's of buckaroos.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 1:45 AM
CF Active Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any BCM swap, wouldn't be good idea unless donor has exact same year/make/model/options. Considered this option with a dodge van. Turned out not to be an option. Was OBD 2, don't know how close it has to be for OBD 1.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 6:50 PM
CF Active Member

I filled out my vehicle type when I registered with the forum, for some reason is does not show it with my posts? Regardless, it is a 2004 Express 3500 with a 6 litre that has been turned into a Class B Roadtrek camper.

The radio has been changed a few times now so it isn't a bad radio specific problem. I believe there is a chime module to interface the radio with the van? That would not have been replaced when I put in the android head unit. I suppose I will take the dash apart and see what I can find out back there as far as grounds.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 8:04 PM
CF Active Member

I started reading the manual and it turns out the "Dome Lamp Override" was selected. The only reason the interior light was coming on was because I was using the remote key fob to unlock the van.
Old July 23rd, 2019, 9:11 PM
CF Veteran

The override shouldn't allow the light to come on at all, if activated. I had to replace mine. I think it may have been damaged (shorted) in an accident.