Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1980 chevy scottsdale 20, need a little help guys

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2009, 9:40 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont think grounding the engine to the frame is gonna fix this problem but it does need to be done, if you have to choke it to get it to run better it is running lean, what do you have for a fuel pump? mechanical or electric?
Old August 30th, 2009, 3:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the fuel pump is mechanical... its on the side of my engine block... ok the starting thing i fixxed it turns out that i had a bad battery we put my battery on to change and it got real hot and fat and started to leak, so i set it aside and put a different one in and it starts fine now... so all i have to worry about now is the carb and miss fireing... the missing i think is the wires i have changed all but them.. and if im running lean should i ajust the float to give it more gas or should i give her less air???
Old August 30th, 2009, 7:19 PM
cb1
CF Junior Member

It's been a while but, I would check for a vacuum leak. You can do this by spraying wd-40 around your carb and intake while it's running. I fthe engine speeds up you have a leak.
If that's not it I would have the carb re-built. It sounds like you are pushing in to much fuel before you let off. Those idle air screws are only good at idle or very low rpms and at the rpm during shifting is a little higher then that. Then theres the vacuum advance for your distributor. If it advances and release slowly (worn springs) that could cause it as well. Like I said it's been a while for a carb engine for me.
Old August 30th, 2009, 8:12 PM
CF Active Member

i know the brake boost is going bad and that causes a vacuum leak... and i was thinking about it i think im one tooth retarded.... could that cause this???
Old August 30th, 2009, 9:49 PM
CF Active Member

could be, give it a try, just understand its hard to diagnose over the internet without the truck here
Old August 31st, 2009, 1:58 PM
CF Active Member

lol where is here?? nah just playin, ok some one on here i dont remember the name of the guy but he said i was running lean?? thats not getting enough right?? enough gas or air?? and im gonna try the timing thing today, last time i looked at it i stuck the marks at tdc and pulled my cap and it was in the middle of 1 and 8, so it was after 1 meaning it already fired... so im gonna try that... but im still confused on the running lean part how do i fix that?? and can i put a sound recording on here???
Old August 31st, 2009, 2:01 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Yes, lean means not enough fuel.
Old August 31st, 2009, 8:29 PM
CF Active Member

ok i tried the other spot on the teeth and it seems to have cleaned it up a little bit but i think that comment before about the vacuum advance sticking might be right... cause it was running great had more power wasnt poping and then it got warmed up and started to run like dog crap
Old August 31st, 2009, 8:33 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

It could be the EGR valve if you have it (I am not sure on an 80's model) or vacuum related too, check the vacuum lines to it.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; August 31st, 2009 at 9:22 PM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 1:10 AM
CF Active Member

ok.. i can re-check them it never hurts... can i put a sound recording on here???

Quick Reply: 1980 chevy scottsdale 20, need a little help guys