Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2002 Silverado Front Suspension Rattle

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2013, 10:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Silverado Front Suspension Rattle

I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD with a rattling noise coming from what sounds to be the front suspension or brake area at the driver side. Just driving straight, when the tire hits uneven road/bumps I hear a plastic or metal rattle. This rattle quits when brakes are applied in same situation. What is causing this?

My first guess was a loose hub cab since lost one on that wheel but the plastic bolts are snug. I've looked underneath grabbing and tapping on things to see if anything is loose or out of place and I can't find anything. All brakes have been replaced with new parts, Front- a couple years ago, Rear- October and they checked the Front brakes at that time too.

Since the rattling goes away when I apply the breaks (even ever so gently) and returns when no brakes are applied when I drive over bumps (road lane reflectors) I was thinking a caliper would be loose or something.

Should I have the shop re-inspect the brakes?

The only thing that seems close that I've found from other posts are sway bars, struts, etc. and the ISS.

Thanks In Advance for your help.
Old January 4th, 2013, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Anti Rattle Clip???

Maybe it's an anti rattle clip on the brake pad???
Old January 26th, 2013, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Loose Brake Caliper

Turns out it was the Caliper rattling. Something was broken on the caliper which was loose by about 1/4" - 1/2" from the rotor. Replaced both front brakes (always replace both if in pairs) and no more rattling.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rattle is back!!

Well, after the shop showed me the caliper was loose and having the front brakes turned/replaced... the rattle, although not as metallic, came back about 1 month later. I took my truck back to the shop, they inspected everything, said everything was tight, drove the truck, heard the rattle, but doesn't know where the rattle is coming from. I had an alignment job done that was needed, but still have the rattle! Again, the rattle is mostly heard with windows down at 35 mph or less due to my aftermarket exhaust at high rpm and windows up on the highway. The rattle is heard when driving over rough pavement or road turtle shell reflectors and goes away when brakes are applied ever so gently even mid-rattle and returns when brake pedal is released.

Can anyone help?????