Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 27th, 2015, 1:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Silverado Wheel Creaking Sound

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2013, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Silverado Wheel Creaking Sound

Hello,

I purchased my 2012 Silverado brand new almost a year ago. I recently started hearing a creaking sound coming from my wheels. I searched around my wheels could not find anything wrong. It sounds like a piece of plastic in a bicycle tire clicking/creaking. I brought it to the dealership and they said it was rock. I felt dumb. Anyway, I was driving again recently and the sound is coming from front left and also rear left tire. I was camping and the sound occurs while driving in the GRASS....rocks in the tires are not causing this. I noticed the there are caps with the Chevy symbol on my 20" chrome rims. The caps are plastic. I pressed on the plastic cap and it heard a creaking sound...I think this sound has to do with the cap flexing and rubbing on the chrome. VERY ANNOYING when driving slow or with the windows down. Anyone else notice this? Any solutions other than buying new tires?

Thank you.
Old April 17th, 2013, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dvfsu123
Hello,

I purchased my 2012 Silverado brand new almost a year ago. I recently started hearing a creaking sound coming from my wheels. I searched around my wheels could not find anything wrong. It sounds like a piece of plastic in a bicycle tire clicking/creaking. I brought it to the dealership and they said it was rock. I felt dumb. Anyway, I was driving again recently and the sound is coming from front left and also rear left tire. I was camping and the sound occurs while driving in the GRASS....rocks in the tires are not causing this. I noticed the there are caps with the Chevy symbol on my 20" chrome rims. The caps are plastic. I pressed on the plastic cap and it heard a creaking sound...I think this sound has to do with the cap flexing and rubbing on the chrome. VERY ANNOYING when driving slow or with the windows down. Anyone else notice this? Any solutions other than buying new tires?

Thank you.
Make sure your wheels are tight.
Old August 27th, 2013, 8:50 PM
CF Beginner

I am a little late on this post but have you found a solution to your wheels. I have had the same problem with them on my 2010 it drives me nuts. It is the rim the dealer did swap out for new ones with in a week they were doing it again. I have heard others making the same noise I can hardly believe more have not come forward to complain to gm. I feel if its a wide spread problem there should be a class action against gm . To be honest I have owned many gm and gmc trucks and the 4 gm vehicles I have right now have all been a big disappoint. I am glad I have a great dealer to deal with. If this and a few other problems can or not get fix I am done. Going to give someone else a try.

Last edited by Hunterrobert2010; August 27th, 2013 at 8:56 PM.
Old August 28th, 2013, 8:33 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

dvfsu123,

I know you mentioned this a while ago and I reached out to see if I could assist you on another thread. Has everything been resolved? Hunterrobert2010 I am glad everything was resolved with your concern as well. If you have other concerns you would like for us to address, please do not hesitate to reach out via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old August 29th, 2013, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default Wheels still making noise

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
dvfsu123,

I know you mentioned this a while ago and I reached out to see if I could assist you on another thread. Has everything been resolved? Hunterrobert2010 I am glad everything was resolved with your concern as well. If you have other concerns you would like for us to address, please do not hesitate to reach out via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Sorry I think this is the first time. I have not posted this problem here before
And no the wheels are still making the noise. The dealer last week did some testing and has agreed that it is the wheels that are making the noise. Un sure what the next step is since the this is the second set of wheels. This problem has me very disappointed. I purchased this silverado after driving my 2007 Sierra I wish I never got rid of.
Do not like the shifting of 6 speed tranny at lo speeds(stop go traffic)
Has some thumbing in the rear end that can not seam to be corrected
Rear diff has locked up several time but dealer can not repair
Can not get the gas mileage I did with my 07
Wheel making creek noise in hot weather

This truck was to be my toy it does not get use hard and has never been driven in winter. Stored in heated garage. I feel lost end very let down with this purchase. I have looked at trading but I have lost to much to make it work
Right now. Truly sucks big time to be driving something like this.

Gm lover on the fence some pretty nice stuff out there now. And my 2012 dodge ram is a lot more fun to drive it has more mileage than the silverado and never back to the dealer for anything. Unfortunately its my work truck

Last edited by Hunterrobert2010; August 29th, 2013 at 7:49 AM.
Old August 29th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Official GM Rep

Hunterrobert2010,

I am sorry you are having these concerns with your vehicle. Can you please send us a private message with your name, VIN, address, phone number, and dealership? Also, I am sorry I worded my comment weird. I was saying to forum member dvfsu123, that he posted a while ago. I look forward to your private message, so we can address your concerns.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 11th, 2013, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Wheel creek

I tried to send a private message but it would not go through ?? Would definitely like to get in touch. Your help is appreciated. I talked to the service department today and don't feel they are able to resolve with the fix they are to try.
They say if they take off Center cap and grind a little off the clips it will stop the noise. We have been driving it without Center caps to see if the noise would stop and it has made no difference makes it weather on or off. I do not have time for this. How is taking some off the clips going to help if they are not on the truck and it still makes a noise. I know they have been told they have do this to see if it helps. It takes hot weather to make the rims creek we are now running out of days here to even make the noise. I put this truck in storage in a month and don't take I out till our trip south in march. Need to get this corrected soon warranty will be up.
Old June 16th, 2015, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

My 2012 Chevy Truck started making creaking sound from my front wheel cap. The sound stops when I remove the cap. Has someone found a solution?

TIA
Old June 17th, 2015, 6:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default Re wheels

Originally Posted by csguest
My 2012 Chevy Truck started making creaking sound from my front wheel cap. The sound stops when I remove the cap. Has someone found a solution?

TIA
I went throught a painful process with the wheels. The dealer tried all the options, grinded off some of the centre cap , went with out the centre cap, they replaced the wheels. Put new rubber on at my expense really nothing worked. Only made the noise in hot weather. This took two years before I finaly told them I can't waste any more time bringing the truck back.....must be at lease a dozen times. What we ended up doing is change the rims to a diferant style. Solved the creaking. If that was the only problem that would be great warranty just up and not at all happy with a few problems in the rear end. Being a loyal gm guy for most of my life this truck has let me down immensely. Absolutely not interested in buying a new one seeing I have had this one for five years and still not able to make it right. Good luck.

Last edited by Hunterrobert2010; June 17th, 2015 at 6:14 AM.
Old June 17th, 2015, 1:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by csguest

TIA
Hi TIA,

We see you're seeking feedback here on the thread and we certainly understand if you feel more comfortable fixing your vehicle yourself. If you decide you'd like a technician from a Chevy Certified dealership check into this for you we're happy to connect you with someone in your area. Just private message us your contact and vehicle information if you'd like our assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2012 Silverado Wheel Creaking Sound