Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2017 Silverado aux power issue

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2021, 8:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Silverado aux power issue

Hello....I currently own a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 recently the aux outlet of cigarette lighter port under the radio stopped working. Through some research I found the fuse was located in the driver's side panel. To the best of my knowledge it was a 20 amp fuse I checked all 20 amp fuses in that box and nothing was blown. Is there something I'm missing? And am I looking in the correct spot fuse wise any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note after I get this fixed is there a way so that both my aux power outlets always draw power?

Old March 1st, 2021, 11:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 279 Likes on 242 Posts

The wiring diagram I have shows it as being labeled “APO1” and is a 15A fuse. If you have more than 1 power outlet in the console, there may also be a 50A fuse in the same fuse box labeled “APO/RAP” that supplies power to both front power outlets. That fuse is fed from the retained accessory power relay which is controlled by the BCM.

To get direct battery power to those 1 or both outlets would mean wiring them to a B+ feed to bypass the relay control.
Old February 21st, 2023, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Michael Finch
Hello....I currently own a 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 recently the aux outlet of cigarette lighter port under the radio stopped working. Through some research I found the fuse was located in the driver's side panel. To the best of my knowledge it was a 20 amp fuse I checked all 20 amp fuses in that box and nothing was blown. Is there something I'm missing? And am I looking in the correct spot fuse wise any ideas and help would be greatly appreciated.

Side note after I get this fixed is there a way so that both my aux power outlets always draw power?
Hey there - Responding to this older thread since I just had the same problem and perhaps some additional information might help others. The dashboard 12V power outlet on my 2015 Silverado 1500 WT/Work Truck went out a few days ago. I have just one power outlet on the dash, which is located on the lower right side of the central dash. I eventually found that the corresponding fuse is in position #1 on the driver side fuse box diagram (left end of the dash), which is shown in the diagram key as APO2 (15A). I took the 15A fuse from position #12 / APO1/LTR (15A) and put it in position #1, and the dashboard 12V power outlet worked again. These square top fuses were tough to pull with the provided puller, so I used a regular pair of pliers in combination with the puller. APO stands for Accessory Power Outlet based on what's shown on the fuse box diagram key versus what's shown in the manual.

Not sure what the fuse in position #12, APO1/LTR (15A) in the driver-side, end of dashboard fuse box goes to on my low-end trim work truck. I figured it would go the 12V power outlet on the dash, but it doesn't on my truck. The manual describes the position #12 fuse as being for the cigarette lighter, which faked me out, but I have only one 12V power outlet which is on the lower right of the central dash, while I think some trucks with higher-end trim also have one on the lower left, so maybe that's the traditional cigarette lighter position.

The center console armrest compartment on my work truck has a 12V power outlet and USB ports, which get power only with the ignition key turned to at least the first on position. The fuse for the center console armrest compartment USB is apparently in position #27 in the passenger / right end of dash fuse box. The right end dash fuse box also has a couple of APO fuses in positions #1 & #2, so maybe one of these goes to the center console 12V power outlet.

I ordered a 15A female fuse on Amazon...

Bussmann FMM-15 MAXI Fuse ('Slow Blow' Micro Female - 15 A (Grey)), 1 Pack

link...
Amazon Amazon

This fuse on Amazon had a few reviews that indicates it had worked in similar model year Silverado's, so I'm optimistic. It was about $5.25 after tax and free delivery with Prime. The fuse has a grey body and transparent purple top window. (UPDATE 3/3/2023 - received the fuse, and it's installed and working. The purple window has a slightly different shade than the original, but looks the same otherwise.)

It's a little hard to tell these square-top females fuses are blown from visual inspection, but I think I could see the failure gap in the fuse wire. Used my multimeter set on ohms to test the fuse, and that didn't help - guess I wasn't making good contact on the fuse terminals - it's easier with the male fuses.

FYI - the fuse apparently blew from running a portable air compressor / tire inflator. I've used it many times over the years with no problem and motor off, but I might've been using it a little longer this time and had pumped up the tires on my wife's car first, with her car's battery but mention it because maybe the compressor draws more amps the longer it is run??? I got "Battery Saver Active - start engine" message on dash when I was inflating the last truck tire. I started the engine and the battery showed 13.88 volts on my ammeter, so the alternator was charging the battery. Drove the truck for a bit, and still got the message when turning the engine off and then turning the ignition key to electrical on position. Drove the truck longer (15 minutes with more speed/rpm), and then the message did not reappear when turning the key on. Took it to a shop, and the battery tested fine. Seems like the power outlet / fuse went out in phases - so maybe the original fuse was already a "slow blow" fuse like the one I've just ordered??? Is that how a "slow blow" fuse works / does that make sense to anyone?

Last edited by CWmson; March 3rd, 2023 at 5:03 PM.
Old July 16th, 2023, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

When I was using the portable 12v tire inflator it blew both of my power outlets. The internals melted inside the power outlets. How do I know this? They were hot to the touch and stopped working.
One went out 2 years ago, another one - just a week ago. I pulled them out and read voltage off the back plugs powering them. It was 12-13V, which is normal. I couldn't read any voltage off the outlets themselves.