Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

95 z71 rough driving

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2009, 5:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck seems to hesitate a lot more when it's hot out to. I wonder why? If it is because the fuel atomizes different or what?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
My truck seems to hesitate a lot more when it's hot out to. I wonder why? If it is because the fuel atomizes different or what?
it could be a slight vapor lock though I wouldn't think it would happen on a tbi system.
Old July 27th, 2009, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Well I think it now comes down to the fuel pump. but does a fuel pump slowly go like this? My experience with the pump is that they just die, outright. can they go slowly?
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never heard of that, not to say that it cant happen of course. But i"ll give you the same suggestion that was given me (that i havent had time or money to check yet). It sounds like it could be the pressure regulator diaphragm in the tbi unit. My guess would be that it isnt holding the pressure high enough when you are at wider throttle settings. Although, that could also mean the pump isn't providing the proper fuel volume.....
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah, and i was told that vapor lock is impossible on fuel injected vehicles. And then i was stuck in traffic on an uphill grade in hot weather. The truck start missing sporadically, sputtering, got worse and more frequent till it died and wouldnt restart. At least not till i popped open the hood, and waited ten minutes. Started right up, and drove fine.
Old July 29th, 2009, 2:33 PM
CF Beginner

I have put a bit of money into it and now at this point I need to get a decent diagnosis before I spend myself blind on parts. I have the pump and new screen and as soon as I get through this tank of gas I am doing the work. Will let you know how it plays out.
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

FOund out last night that the distributor is loose (dummy me grabbed it and it turned real easily) got a timing light on it and have set and tightened it.

Question, would a loose distributor cause my issue?
Old July 30th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, test drive it for a couple weeks. Yeah, if a distributor is left to adjust it's own timing as it pleases, you may be in for a rough ride.
Old July 30th, 2009, 4:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Fishbrain,

Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. There is a nipple on the fuel rail made for this. I don't know what the specs are for that model truck, but it sounds like low pressure to me. It takes less pressure at idle than it does at higher rpm's. It sounds to me like the pressure is very close to its lower threshold and when your pump stumbles, it drops below the threshold.

Pumps do not usually go out all at once. Except in cases of mechanical or electrical failure, they slowly lose presure until they fall below the adequate threshold, you just do not know there is a problem until all at once. I had an F150 once with dual tanks and it would do exactly what you are describing, then it might clear up for a little while, then it would be back. If I swapped to the other tank, it ran fine.
Old July 30th, 2009, 8:35 PM
CF Active Member

yes, it could be because your distr./timing. when i had me heads cleaned and surfaced and reset the timing, i unpluged the wrong wire needed to set the timing correctly so whenever i would put my foot in it just a little, the Throttle body would spit fuel up and about die. when i set the timing correctly, it was fine.

Quick Reply: 95 z71 rough driving