Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

AC only blows cold on one side of the truck?

Old May 31st, 2010, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC only blows cold on one side of the truck?

I have a 05 2500 duramax dual temperature control and only one side blows cold air no mater what the temp is set on. I unpluged some stuff and it switched from the driver side to the passenger side. would this be my hvac blend actuator going bad?? someone told me i could have 4 of these...where are they? i can't find a schematic for them.
Old June 1st, 2010, 1:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There should be 3 actuators, this problem you have is very common and there are hundreds of articles on troubleshooting, installing and reseting these systems. The Chiltons and Haynes manuals do not cover these systems. A lot of the problems start with a bad battery and the system just needs to be reset. Try the reset procedure before you spend over $100 for 1 actuator, the one that controlls temp between drivers and passenger side is in the middle under the dash.

Reset #1

I just had the same problem after I disconnected and reconnected the battery. The drivers side blew hot all the time no matter what the settings were and the passenger side worked OK. This happened to me about a year ago, but started working OK after I turned off the engine are restarted it. I have not had the problem until a couple of days ago. This time, turning off the engine or ignition would not reset it.

I noticed that the drivers side would blow cold air when the ignition is first turned on, then after about 10 seconds would go to hot. This means the controller and motor actuator are working.
This is what I did to fix it.
Adjusted the passenger side to full hot and the drivers side to full cold and put the system in auto mode.
Then, turned off the ignition and turned it back on. In auto mode you will see the fan speed auto adjusting up and down.
Then, I reversed the settings, drivers full hot (90) and the passenger full cold (60). Put it in auto mode and turn off the ignition and then back on.
The system started working correctly after that. My guess is that somehow the system looses its reference point for temperature, so a restart or two in auto mode will put it back in sync. Hope this helps.

Reset #2

How to reset your HVAC module:
Remove your hvac fuse for 10 sec - reinstall fuse.
Start engine "DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING FOR 3 MINUTES"
Recalibration of module will accure when power is lost (fuse pulled, battery changed or died)
If hvac reset did not work you have a trouble code - reset BCM
There are two ways to reset your body control module
Go to the GENERAL
Remove BOTH battery cables (for the sake of CAUTION remove air bag fuse and wait 5 MINUTES)
Hold both cables together for 1 minute - drains KAM (keep alive memory).
Put everything back together
Start the engine "DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING FOR 3 MINUTES" If you have no broken parts - system not default (normal operation).

Just one of many Blogs about this issue.
http://autoforum.classifieds1000.com..._hot_on_driver
The following users liked this post:
vintageozarks (August 12th, 2021)
Old June 1st, 2010, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Troubleshooting and servicing the HVAC system including exactly how to reset the actuators is covered in the factory service manuals. There is a nice section on troubleshooting with and without DTC.