Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Camper shell brake light hook up

Old July 3rd, 2013, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camper shell brake light hook up

I've got a 05 Silverado crew cad with factory towing package and just a got a used camper shell for it. I found the light blue wire in the wiring harness behind the 7 pin that is supposed to be for third brake lights.

My question is, where do you get the male plug that plugs into it? I've tried the dealer and they had no idea what I was talking about and told me to try a truck accessory store and the truck accessory store told me to try the dealer.

I know that I can just splice into the brake lights, but I would rather not do that since there is a plug already available.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 4:35 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If I read your post correctly, you got a camper shell, the shell has a high mount or 3rd brake light assembly on it, you want to use the brake light signal from the trailer harness to hook up the lamp?
I don't think there is such a connector ( factory or otherwise per-se) for what you want to do... you should be able to make up a connection with a 2 pin trailer harness though...
Old July 3rd, 2013, 5:06 PM
CF Beginner

You got it partly right..I got a camper shell and need to hook up the high mount brake light. I just need to find out where to get the other side of the plug pictured below. Picture is the plug I'm talking about. It's capped with a weather proof rubber plug in the first picture and the second shows it uncapped. It's supposed to be used for campers and fifth wheels.

Name:  plug_zpsbd041c3d.jpg
Views: 16696
Size:  57.7 KB

Name:  plug1_zpsdcfb435d.jpeg
Views: 13486
Size:  50.8 KB
Old July 3rd, 2013, 5:33 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I could be wrong but I thought that was for the trailer brake controller?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
I could be wrong but I thought that was for the trailer brake controller?
That would make more sense...From what I read though a lot of people had somehow used it to wire up their brake light. I'll probably just end up splicing into the tail light.
Old May 19th, 2020, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

I realize this is an old post. I came across it when doing a third brake light search. The connection in the pictures is a single pin weather pack (delphi), readily available on Amazon or Ebay.

Richard O.