Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Gauges Are Going Nuts!

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2006, 5:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges Are Going Nuts!

My tach started jumping all over the place in my 2003 HD 2500right after I turned over 36,000 miles. Took it to the dealership and was told that it would cost $400 to replace something in the wiring harness. I said "no thanks" since I have an automatic transmission and really don't rely on it anyway. Now, all of the sudden, my fuel gauge, volt gauge, and speedometer (intermittently) are acting up as well. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a less costly way to fix it?
Old December 31st, 2006, 5:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Gauges Are Going Nuts!

i actually had this problem with my truck after replacing the battery. Every so often when i cranked it, the temp light/check engine light and gauges would all jump and flash. I just took a post cleaner to it and made a tighter connection. Might wanna check that before investing alot of money.
Old December 31st, 2006, 1:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apparently this is common. I'm attaching a thread from another site. It indicates that the motors in the guage cluster will go bad. It's $400+ at dealer to unplug, replace and re-plug. You can get one on ebay for way less and can even upgrade at the same time to Escalade take outfor about $260. Some sites will set your mileage for you before they ship.
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....silverado_tach
Old January 5th, 2007, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

I had the same problem on my truck as well, and did the same thing as Garbage943. I had to actually buy a new post because mine was stripped out and was causing the connection to be jumpy especially when driving on bumpy roads. Be sure to check the positive conneciton and both ends of the ground wire, and also make sure the fuse is in tightly.
Old January 27th, 2007, 7:55 AM
CF Beginner

The speedometer is a common problem in the 2003 and newer GM trucks. This problem can be fixed at www.mrwhizard.com for $169.00 or several hundred through the GM dealerships.
Old February 1st, 2007, 1:46 PM
CF Beginner

Bad stepper motors. I have a 2004 Crew cab, speedometer went nuts. I sent mine to carl on ebay at speedometer repair service..... did the escalade upgrade..... I love it. great service
Old February 3rd, 2007, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

I too own a Chevy Silverado z71 extended cab, a 2004. Whose speedometer has went out at only 47000. Chevy wants $500 flat rate to fix it. I've researched and found that there are hundreds out there that have the same problem. I'm looking for others that have the same problem. So I've started a petition http://www.PetitionOnline.com/chevy07/petition.html
so hopefully Chevy will do a factory recall and get the problem fixed, because as of right now they refuse to. If you can help me by posting the link to my petition or giving people my email chevyspeedissue@hotmail.com so that they can contact me for more info. Whatever help you can give the cause is greatly appreciated! Thanks! A local news agency said that if I can get 300 signatures of people with the same problems they will do a story on it.
Sara English
Old February 4th, 2007, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

My 1992 k1500 also had crazy guages with dash lights flicker as with altranator frequency. I added an additional body ground from batt cable no problem since. Regards Luke
Old January 2nd, 2008, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

My speedo and tach started going crazy last week and I did a good bit of digging on the net. Seems GM will replace the instrument cluster in certain '03 and '04 models. I have an '05 Tahoe and they are telling me that '05 models are not included in the replacement coverage -which is stupid because they use the same stepper motors (Switec X25.168) to drive the guages in '03 through '06 models. The current models covered are only up to 70,000 miles, so it is appearant that GM is letting enough time pass to move more '05 vehicles beyond the 70,000 mile range before they add that year model to the coverage. I refuse to pay the dealer quote of $575 for replacement soI will either replace the bad motors myself (about $10 each on e-Bay) or have it repaired at various shops that can easily be found on the net for about $160 bucks. GM really needs to step up and honor this replacement for ALL effected models. It will seriously play into my decision when it comes time to shop for a new vehicle.

Below is an article that discusses the issue.

ARTICLE:
Monday, September 10, 2007

Delphi settles GM parts issue

Company pays $100M to mend warranty issues and agrees to replace 1.1M electronic parts.

David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON -- Delphi Corp. will pay General Motors Corp. at least $100 million to settle long-standing disputes over warranty issues and also will replace 1.1 million electronics parts -- worth more than $80 million -- at no charge as part of a wide-ranging agreement between the companies.

The settlement, reached Aug. 14 and made public late Thursday, opens a window into the costs GM has incurred in dozens of recall campaigns as a result of parts supplied by its former parts unit. GM has blamed dozens of warranty claims on shoddy Delphi parts, especially electronics.

The companies won U.S. Bankruptcy Court approval to release only an edited copy of the agreement. The agreement resolves all outstanding issues between the companies and sets the stage for Delphi to emerge from Chapter 11 bankruptcy by the end of the year. Troy-based Delphi has filed a final reorganization plan.

Since GM spun off Delphi in 1999, the automaker has had many disputes with the company over warranty claims.

GM spokeswoman Renee Rashid-Merem said Friday that the agreement "clears the slate" between Delphi and GM "and resolves a certain group of outstanding warranty issues."

She said the agreement covers as many as 50 warranty issues; the settlement refers to at least 43 warranties.

The major issue resolved involves 1.1 million electronic parts that are part of instrument clusters, according to a heavily edited version of the agreement that has been made public. The instrument cluster is the electronic brain behind the instrument panel on the dash.

With the agreement and an improving relationship with Delphi, GM hopes to save $2 billion annually in parts costs.

As Delphi exits several businesses, GM will represent a diminishing share of its revenue -- down to a quarter or less than $5 billion by 2010.

Delphi attorney Jack Butler said the agreement saves Delphi "hundreds of millions of dollars in potential liability."

Defective parts replaced

Under the deal, GM will receive $47.5 million to replace defective electronic parts and Delphi will provide 1.1 million new parts at no charge through 2014.

In addition, GM will have a right to buy additional parts at no more than $83 each.

For instrument clusters equipped with Switec stepper motors, Delphi also will provide bulbs and motors at its cost.

In another issue, Delphi will pay GM $175 per repair for up to 107,000 vehicles -- or as much as $18 million. GM would not divulge what part is involved.

Delphi also may sue a supplier over one of the defective parts. If successful, the company has agreed to give GM part of any proceeds exceeding $8 million.

During the dispute, GM withheld $5.4 million in parts payments from Delphi. Delphi won't seek the payment.

Meanwhile, two GM investigations into other allegedly defective parts by Delphi remain ongoing, "and GM has not yet determined if Delphi has any responsibility," according to the agreement.

[/align]GM PARTS BULLETINS & INFORMATION - TO CADILLAC, CHEVROLET AND GMC DEALERS
Subject:Bulletin GMP07-174 - Special Coverage Adjustment #07187- Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle FunctionMessage #:VSU20071575
• DESCRIPTION:
SPECIAL COVERAGE Adjustment #07187- SEPTEMBER 28, 2007

DUE TO PART AVAILABILITY, THIS SPECIAL COVERAGE IS BEING ADMINISTERED IN PHASES. YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED AS EACH ADDITIONAL PHASE IS RELEASED.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT.
o Some customers of 2003-2004 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge.
o This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.
o Refer to Special Coverage Adjustment #07187 for further information

EFFECTIVE DATE:
Initial owner mailing is scheduled to begin: Phase 1 9-28-07

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Instrument panel clusters (IPC) required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from the Electronic Service Centers. Refer to GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 1.5.9, for specific procedures. To eliminate keeping the customer's vehicle overnight, customers are being told to contact the dealership to arrange a service appointment and to supply their VIN. Dealers are to pre-order the IPC identifying the part from the Electronic Parts Catalog using the VIN filter so it will be at the dealership on the day of the scheduled appointment.
o 1. The customer will contact the dealership to arrange an appointment and provide their VIN.
2. Contact a GM Authorized Electronic Service Center to order an exchange and arrange for delivery of the pre-exchange product.
3. All units will be shipped FedEx Ground.
4. After removal of the defective unit, return the defective core to the Electronic Service Center using the supplied pre-paid Automatic Return shipping (ARS) label.
5. Failure to return the product within 30 days to the Electronic Service Center will result in a charge to the Dealer's Open Parts Account.
[/align]