Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Hypertech or Superchip?

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2011, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hypertech or Superchip?

I'm looking for buy a programmer for my '00 Silverado 2500, 2WD, Crew Cab. I'm debating between a Hypertech and Superchip. Wondering if I could get some feedback or advice on which to use. I'm learning about cars and have no idea which one to get, although I've done some research on both. They both seem pretty comparable, but they are expensive so I wanna make the right purchase once.

Thanks...

Abaddonb
Old June 1st, 2011, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

Honestly, Neither one. Get a custom tune, you will be glad you did. The only true advantage I see with the handheld is you can take it off or put it on when you please. I was in your shoes a couple of years ago and I went with superchips "Before I knew anything about custom tunes" I liked it but unless your buying a used one or getting a deep discount I can't justify the money.
Old June 1st, 2011, 2:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

exactly what is said above..programmers only adjust shift settings and correct the speedo for bigger tires. a custom tune from blackbear, wheatley, or Nelson is what you want. helps with performance and gas mileage. all you have to do is tell them what you're wanting and they will help you along the way
Old June 1st, 2011, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the advice. I just asked someone the same question today and his response was the same as yours- get a custom tune.

Thanks for responding.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by abaddonb
I'm looking for buy a programmer for my '00 Silverado 2500, 2WD, Crew Cab. I'm debating between a Hypertech and Superchip. Wondering if I could get some feedback or advice on which to use. I'm learning about cars and have no idea which one to get, although I've done some research on both. They both seem pretty comparable, but they are expensive so I wanna make the right purchase once.

Thanks...

Abaddonb
I bought the Hypertech for my 2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L 4wd and i have noticed a big different in response and power as well as a couple more miles per gallon, as what all the other guys are talking about on getting a custom tune, i checked out all of what those brands they labeled to check out and they are pretty expensive (400-600), plus the hypertech tuner lets you be able to change all the same settings yourself, you just have to ask around and do some research to get some knowledge on the shift points, gear axle ratio, RPM limiter, Speed limiter, shift firmness, either premium or regular gas (i use premium because it gives you alot more torque for towing than the regular gas setting using the tuner setting) and also you can get the hypertech programmer tuner for $255 (how can you beat that when it lets you do the same thing as the custom tune, the only difference is that your paying them more money for them to change the settings for you) at at streetsideauto.com . I personally wouldnt pay or purchase a " custom tune" from these guys blackbear, wheatley, or Nelson for 2 reasons, #1 they arent a well known brand so personally i wouldnt trust them, if you read in offroad magazines (for the offroad enthusiasts) you will see some of the popular tuners are hypertech, superchips, bullydog, and edge and also banks.#2 you can get the hypertech tuner programmer for alot less on that site, ive seen it everywhere else for 380ish. So why would you pay alot more for someone to customize the settings for you at blackbear, wheatley, or Nelson when you can just buy the programmer for alot less and do it yourself?

Last edited by Danistheman1234; June 2nd, 2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:28 PM
CF Beginner

I wouldn't say Blackbear, Wheatley, or Nelson aren't well known. All a tune TRULY does is adjust the timing, the rest is just a bonus. I could take my truck back to stock and take you for a ride, then I could change just shiftpoints/pressure take you for another ride and you would swear it had more power. A handheld is great for what it is, but you don't have the flexibility you would have with a custom tune.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tunes from blackbear are 250, wheatley they're 275, and nelson's tunes are 300, even flacco tunes right around the corner from me are only 300...where in the world did you get a 400-600 price range for a custom tune?

i had my truck at stock..raced a friend who had a stock 2wd 5.3 and i took him off the line because i have 3:73 gears and he has 3:42 but then he blew me out of the water right past 50 mph because i weigh more than he does....put the bullydog i used to have on there and it was the same scenario, even after doin a few funs and putting premium in the tank. Even raced my dads vmax when it was stock and i had the intake and programmer and he blew me out of the water same thing for my friends new 5.7 tundra. all around 50 mph they left me. Went and got a tune and now i hang around at about 70-75 mph with them till they start to pull away, so how exactly is a tune not better than a programmer? and honestly i saw no mpg gain with a programmer and intake, it all came from when i switched back to the stock box with a drop in k&n filter, volant intake tube, and then the wheatley tune, went from 12- 15.5 with the next 2 weeks after the tune settled in

only advantage a programmer has is that you can take it off when you want and adjust it when you want but if you tell blackbear, wheatley, or nelson what you want then you won't have to worry about playin with a programmer to get it right