Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 3:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Ignition Cylinder Lock

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2012, 6:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Cylinder Lock

I have a 96 1500 pickup. The ign. lock on the column is sticking and sometimes will not work properly as the kes are VERY worn...Having said that, is this a dealer only item or can I source a new lock and keys aftermarket. And will it need to be coded to the trucks ECM?

Regards
Old June 24th, 2012, 10:19 AM
CF Junior Member

I recently had that problem but with a 85 impala. I had to get a 20$ aftermarket key and cylinder, but since your truck is 10 years newer I don't have the answer to the ECM question. On my car the steering wheel and all of the internals had to come out.(tilt wheel and turn signal switches) I had trouble getting the push plate and circle clip off of the steering column so I rented a puller type tool from autozone. The steering wheel column panels had to move to get all of the switches out of the way but after that it's right there.

Keep in mind this was on a 85 so things are probably a little different.
Old June 24th, 2012, 1:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Junk That Moves
I have a 96 1500 pickup. The ign. lock on the column is sticking and sometimes will not work properly as the kes are VERY worn...Having said that, is this a dealer only item or can I source a new lock and keys aftermarket. And will it need to be coded to the trucks ECM?

Regards
Does your key have a pellet in it? If so, there are 15 (I think) different resitance available. As long as the key resistance matches the lock it should allow the passkey to allow it to start. I DON'T think there is anything the ecm has to read, but if possible get the replacement as the same.

Last edited by kevinkpk; June 24th, 2012 at 2:16 PM.
Old June 24th, 2012, 6:52 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More than likely you can just get a new key. If the truck has anti theft then the key needs to come from the dealer.
Old June 24th, 2012, 7:30 PM
CF Active Member

The truck does not have passlock. All the door locks are worn as well and it is my intention to replace all the lock cyls. I think I should replace the ign. lock cyl and not just the key as I can remove the key after the truck has been started.

Regards
Old July 8th, 2012, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a new lock cylinder from Advance Auto Parts made for my truck year and was able to install it myself. I have a service manual that told me step by step how and youtube has a lot of great videos. BUT my truck has no anti theft and is not a coded key so it was a simple remove/ replace job.
Old July 9th, 2012, 3:17 AM
CF Active Member

Guess I'm hard headed...I went with the OEM part. I only use aftermarket when I can't get OEM stuff. Costs more but the parts always fit and work correctly.