Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 27th, 2015, 2:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

overheat turn a/c off light is coming on

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2011, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheat turn a/c off light is coming on

I have a 2008 silverado 6 cyl and the engine overheat message turning ac off message is showing. My engine cooling fans are running on high speed and the temp gauge is showing 160. The engine bogs when i drive it and am worried i am doing damage to it. Can anyone help me with where to start looking to fix this. the truck only has 33,000 miles on it but of course the 36 months ran out 2 weeks ago. any help would be appreciated
Old September 29th, 2011, 7:16 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Take it back with a warrenty issue anyway.
Old October 3rd, 2011, 9:30 AM
Banned

Either the temp sensor is bad and or the stat isn't working correctly.They need to run at a temp of 195.

BTW-please keep this situation on the open forum so all will benefit from your solution.We have a member who is trying to use the PM system which is counter productive to the goals of forums.

Thanks,

Terry

Last edited by T.Neff; October 3rd, 2011 at 9:36 AM.
Old October 13th, 2011, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Exact same issue

I have the exact same issue. I just replaced the sensor and it didn't show over heating for two days and then it all started again. Engine over heating, fan on, temp reading shuts down. But when I drive home after about 10 hours of the truck sitting it stills shows over heating. But after about 10 miles of driving the temp gauge starts reading again and the alarm clears. Don't know what it is and could be. Would also like to see other suggestions.
Old October 13th, 2011, 6:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The ECT sensor is a thermistor whose resistance varies inversely to the temperature. The ECM supplies a reference voltage on one wire and ground on the other and then senses the voltage drop across the ECT sensor to derive the resistance. So, if the temperature is read extermely high without the actual signs of overheating, there's probably a short in the circuit to ground. If you're handy with a multimeter, it's not that hard to troubleshoot.