Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Problem with 2003 Silverado 1500 (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/problem-2003-silverado-1500-a-39658/)

09DannyH January 25th, 2011 10:37 PM

Problem with 2003 Silverado 1500

On my Silverado I have an S&B cold air intake. It is the 5.3 engine. Along with this I have a flowmaster exhaust.

Anyways, my mileage has been very crappy (averaging 16-18MPG) that's in the city for around half an hour a day and 2 hours highway driving. I was wondering if I would get more mileage if I switched back to the stock air intake, as I was told my a mechanic in my town that the engine may be "getting too much air." I was skeptical to just take his advice so I came here.

Also, are there any other mods that would be good for my truck? I'm willing to spend 600-1200 dollars in order to increase my mileage and horsepower. I have been advised to purchase headers and a programmer, although since I am new with trucks I don't want to rush into anything.

Thanks for any advice.

09DannyH January 26th, 2011 12:49 AM

Bump for answers.

09DannyH January 26th, 2011 10:01 AM

Somebody has to have some advice with 70 views.

CoffeyLover January 27th, 2011 12:24 AM

Generally speaking, asking for horsepower and asking for better mileage are two completely different questions. If you want horsepower, then yea headers and a tune. Jason over at Black Bear Tune will perform magic on the performance of your truck. But for mileage, you should be looking at a different type of tune (economy vs. performance) and you should perform some maintenance (ie. Seafoam). But looking for horsepower and better mileage.... hard to do.

gotstylez January 27th, 2011 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 09DannyH (Post 171014)
Somebody has to have some advice with 70 views.

most people on this site on busy with work/school..you gotta be patient!!!!!!! anyway to your question.. i have had a aftermarket CAI.. and a few of my friends have also.. and you DO get better gasmileage with the stock equipment.. the only way i would guess you get better gas mileage is on maybe a 4cylinder or maybe 6.. noway on a bigger motor.. hope his helps

in2pro January 27th, 2011 11:57 AM

You really can't get "too much air" the throttle body opening is only going to allow so much air in and the correct amount of fuel will be mixed in... something to keep in mind is that it is colder out and if you are warming up your vehicle any this will impact your MPG, moving or not as long as the engine is running gas is being used.....

Kwizard January 27th, 2011 6:02 PM

For that kind of driving with the 5.3, that mpg is typical. I put a catback Flowmaster and a K&N in the factory airbox and I average 20 mpg. Thats with a 4.3 V-6 and 5 speed stick. I can get 25 on the highway if I behave, but I just can't! I just put a toneau cover on the bed and I hope that gives me a 1-2 extra mpg.

basilkies January 27th, 2011 11:37 PM

A canopy will get you 2 to 3 more mpg, a tonneau will get you a 1 to 2 mpg and taking the tailgate off will get you a mile or two per gallon. Weight is also a killer so make your wife take the bus:)

Your truck does better than mine but I have the 5 inch lift and big tires which are bad for mileage. I found I can increase my mileage if I fasten my seatbelt before I start the truck;)

09DannyH January 28th, 2011 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by gotstylez (Post 171160)
most people on this site on busy with work/school..you gotta be patient!!!!!!! anyway to your question.. i have had a aftermarket CAI.. and a few of my friends have also.. and you DO get better gasmileage with the stock equipment.. the only way i would guess you get better gas mileage is on maybe a 4cylinder or maybe 6.. noway on a bigger motor.. hope his helps

Haha yes! I lack the patience as this is a new truck and I'm excited to hear input. Recently went from a 2004 GMC Canyon to this. The power is absolutely night and day but so is the MPG =(

Originally Posted by in2pro (Post 171165)
You really can't get "too much air" the throttle body opening is only going to allow so much air in and the correct amount of fuel will be mixed in... something to keep in mind is that it is colder out and if you are warming up your vehicle any this will impact your MPG, moving or not as long as the engine is running gas is being used.....

Of course, and I've taken this into account. However I keep my truck in a heated shop, so that saves me from starting from right cold.

Originally Posted by Kwizard (Post 171192)
For that kind of driving with the 5.3, that mpg is typical. I put a catback Flowmaster and a K&N in the factory airbox and I average 20 mpg. Thats with a 4.3 V-6 and 5 speed stick. I can get 25 on the highway if I behave, but I just can't! I just put a toneau cover on the bed and I hope that gives me a 1-2 extra mpg.

It's hard to behave with a flowmaster! Practically like candy to my ears, even just starting it up.

Originally Posted by basilkies (Post 171225)
A canopy will get you 2 to 3 more mpg, a tonneau will get you a 1 to 2 mpg and taking the tailgate off will get you a mile or two per gallon. Weight is also a killer so make your wife take the bus:)

Your truck does better than mine but I have the 5 inch lift and big tires which are bad for mileage. I found I can increase my mileage if I fasten my seatbelt before I start the truck;)

Have thought about the tonneau cover, they look pretty sharp. Haha, yes. I need to take the sandbags out, and being 18 I should probably stop giving the girlfriend rides ;).

Yes, the lift and the bigger tires are probably killing me too. However, I only have a 2 inch lift (suspension lift? sound right?) and it's sitting on 295's I believe, barely enough room for them.

Sorry, new truck as of about 4 days ago and I haven't had the time to look around and see what's what really, just know the basics.