Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 6:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Pulls to the right

Old February 21st, 2010, 11:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulls to the right

Would anyone know why, my truck pulls to right only when i step on the brakes the first time. I replaced both rotors and calipers. I did notice the the abs sensor on the front drivers side looks like it has been over heated and somewhat melted. It does it when i apply the brakes first time. if i lift off the pedal and reapply she brakes straight.. I brought the truck 6 months prior. It is a 98 silverado, C2500 ext cab long bed, 8600 gvw. 5.7cid

Thanks
Darryl
Old February 22nd, 2010, 1:10 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it do that no matter what speed you're going? I got a 98 silverado 1500 5.7 L and I kinda had issues with braking, but only when I was going slow. The pedal would vibrate and the truck acted like it didn't really want to stop, but if I let off the pedal and applied them again it was fine. The problem ended up being with the speed sensor. It would pull to one side too when it did that. My dad's 2000 sierra had the same problem as mine, so it might be a common problem with GMs around that time. I don't know if this helps much, but your issue sounded similar to mine.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
CF Active Member

If it doesn't turn out to be what bsballfn172 advised then check your brake lines. It would be opposite to what side it's pulling. If it pulls to the right when braking then check your left brake line. If they look pretty old I would replace them. My parents' past '96 suburban would pull to the right (almost all the time) when braking and everything that we checked was fine (alignment, caliper, rotors, etc) So we changed the brake lines (both, to keep the brakes even) and the problem went away. You also have to know if the pull is coming from the front brakes or the rear brakes. Good luck.

Last edited by cam3439; February 22nd, 2010 at 2:11 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:48 AM
CF Active Member

Sounds like mine, Ive bleed all the wheels and it went good. Ok the speed sensor, would that be the one at the wheel itself or where might it be? the left sensor at the wheel looks a little damaged, could that be sending a signal to the computer, saying that wheel is not moving and there fore would not allow pressure to be applied to the left front, causing the right front to work..., where was the speed sensor you changed on your truck?
Old February 22nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
CF Active Member

ok, thanks. I will check and replace the hose's and lines, if and as needed. What would you think about the master cylinder? At times it feels like something is holding it back.....it might just be me thought....
Old February 22nd, 2010, 2:08 PM
CF Active Member

If your master cylinder is going out it's usually a different feeling. You'll feel mushy brakes, pedal goes down more than usual, and/or you have to pump the brakes for you to get any braking. If it's completely out you won't have any brakes at all. If you feel like something is holding your brake pedal back (harder for you to push it) I would check for a vacuum leak with the brake booster hose or the brake booster itself. Sometimes the brake booster will develop a pin sized hole on the housing or it can become damaged from the inside, and can cause this "holding" back, but it could be a worn out brake booster vacuum hose. Remember to check the grommet that the brake booster hose attaches to as well.

Last edited by cam3439; February 22nd, 2010 at 2:17 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 3:02 PM
CF Active Member

the holding back im referring to is like someone stepping on the brakes when ur pulling off from a light......tks for the info on the mst cylinder
Old February 22nd, 2010, 5:11 PM
CF Active Member

Then the brakes are holding onto the rotors and aren't releasing correctly. Is this an even hold off the line or does it pull to the side? Did you change all of the brake fluid? If it's the original fluid I would HIGHLY recommend on changing it. This is sounding more and more like the lines, but I've never had to deal with a speed sensor.

Last edited by cam3439; February 22nd, 2010 at 5:15 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2010, 6:49 PM
CF Active Member

this is an even hold off the line. I did flush the Master cylinder and the front lines to both calipers, bleed both out. so with the lines...are you speaking of the metal lines and or the hoses to the calipers?? it only pulls to the right when you apply brakes at any speed. If i lift off the pedal and then reapply, she stops straight..... Im going to take ur advise and check the lines... i am at the point to change out the complete braking system and sensor.... let me know if you think of anything else

Thanks so much for the info
Old February 22nd, 2010, 7:07 PM
CF Active Member

Did you make sure not to get any air into the system? This could be a cause as well. And I'm talking about the hoses/lines that connect to the caliper itself. They should be rubber lines and tend to collapse on the inside when old. They can collapse, get kinked on the inside, tear, etc.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pulls to the right