Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 2:40 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tire
Print Wikipost

Spare Tire Removal

Old July 13th, 2007, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tire Removal

I have a 99 siverado extended cab and can't seem to get the spare tire to drop, I think the hoist may be damaged, any tricks I should know to get the tire lowered. I have never had to use the spare and I just know sooner or later I am going to need it, somewhere remote.

chris
Old July 13th, 2007, 3:16 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Spare Tire Removal

I can't say this is the same problem you have. But, when I had a new 99 extended cab my wife had a flat tire and called for me to fix it. I couldn't get the spare tire down and so ended up calling GM Roadside Service. He couldn't get it down either and ended up loading the my truck on a carrier and taking to my house which was within a mile. I had to remove the valve stemto leave the air out to remove the pressure. It seemed like they had tightened it up so tight the winch could not release. Once the tire was flat it came down and never had another problem.
Old July 13th, 2007, 6:04 PM
Banned

Easy, take angle grinder and grind the cu** off!! Thats what I had to do.
Old July 13th, 2007, 6:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Raydah

I have a 99 siverado extended cab and can't seem to get the spare tire to drop, I think the hoist may be damaged, any tricks I should know to get the tire lowered. I have never had to use the spare and I just know sooner or later I am going to need it, somewhere remote.

chris
Good thinking on your part to check things like that before you (or your wife) needs them.
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Woo Hoo I got it, thanks all for the help, turned out that the shaft leading to the hoist was not aligned; I was able to get to it and line up the tools, of course after I deflated the tire, but at least I can use it if I have to. [8D]
Old July 15th, 2007, 9:14 PM
Banned

nevermind don't grind it off
Old September 19th, 2007, 4:01 AM
CF Beginner

did deflating the tire work on its own or did you need tools afterwards? im having the same problem on my 02 silverado and my dad on his 99 silverado.
Old September 19th, 2007, 7:34 AM
CF Active Member

It did for me. Can't say about the others.Soon as I deflated the tire it came right down.
Old September 20th, 2007, 10:20 PM
CF Junior Member

A bit of sarcasum here. "BOY THATS REALLY HANDY HAVING TO LET THE AIR OUT OF THE SPARE WHEN YOU NEED IT". I had a 91 2500HD , a91, 3500HD, and I now have a 2002 2500HD, and never had any problems with getting spare down. I sure like the winch idea, compared to the 72 GMC, that was a chore.
Mel
Old September 21st, 2007, 7:28 AM
CF Active Member

You are right about that. I had to call the GM Roadside. The tow driver thought it was just me and he tried to get it down. Nothing. Ended up towing it up to my house, which was within a mile. I thought itwas causedby cranking it up to tight. But that shouldn't have been possible. Unless it was done on purpose and they cranked it up with the tire low on presssure and then increased the pressure. I never found out what caused it. It worked fine after that. Sort of like that very tight oil filter you get once in a while from the factory.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spare Tire Removal