Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 Silverado makes vibration at low speeds.

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2012, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Silverado makes vibration at low speeds.

My 2012 Silverado 2500hd with the 6.0 has made a grinding vibration since the day it was purchased. The vibration is mild and occurs while slowly accellerating at about 35 and 45 mph. If I step on it the vibration does not occur. It vibrates the steering wheel and floor, I think it is coming from the front of the pickup.

The first time I brought the pickup to the dealer they said they were sure it was coming from my running boards, and since they were aftermarket I would need to remove them. I then brought the puckup in again and they decided they would remove the running boards, and realized the vibration was still occuring. They said they thought it was the exhaust. They ordered a part and put it on the exhaust. I then picked up the pickup, and the samr vibration is occurring.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the vibration could be?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 10:20 PM
Former Sponsor

This sounds like this is the sign of your AFM(Active Fuel Management- only running 4cyl when in lower speeds, then kicking in all 8 when you really hit the gas pedal) kicking in.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

I don't have active fuel managment. Pretty sure that is only on the 5.3l
Old December 26th, 2012, 8:11 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ApexTurbo
My 2012 Silverado 2500hd with the 6.0 has made a grinding vibration since the day it was purchased. The vibration is mild and occurs while slowly accellerating at about 35 and 45 mph. If I step on it the vibration does not occur. It vibrates the steering wheel and floor, I think it is coming from the front of the pickup.

The first time I brought the pickup to the dealer they said they were sure it was coming from my running boards, and since they were aftermarket I would need to remove them. I then brought the puckup in again and they decided they would remove the running boards, and realized the vibration was still occuring. They said they thought it was the exhaust. They ordered a part and put it on the exhaust. I then picked up the pickup, and the samr vibration is occurring.

Anyone have any thoughts on what the vibration could be?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ApexTurbo,

I am sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Has the dealer tried balancing the tire and wheel assemblies?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 26th, 2012, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

No they have not tried to balance the wheels. I actually brought it in again today because the vibration was worse yesterday the temp was -10. They think that it is the torque converter. However the vibration was very calm this morning, and I was told to just keep an eye on it, and if it becomes worse or if I can pinpoint the exact rpms to bring it back then.
Old December 26th, 2012, 3:19 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Balance the wheels.
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by ApexTurbo
No they have not tried to balance the wheels. I actually brought it in again today because the vibration was worse yesterday the temp was -10. They think that it is the torque converter. However the vibration was very calm this morning, and I was told to just keep an eye on it, and if it becomes worse or if I can pinpoint the exact rpms to bring it back then.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

ApexTurbo,

Keep us posted. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

My 2012 does it too. It only does it for a spilt second. I have 2200 miles on it and got it when it was brand new it had 3 miles on it. I only had it for a month and a half and waiting to see if it was a braking in thing.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 2:13 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by dup4fun
My 2012 does it too. It only does it for a spilt second. I have 2200 miles on it and got it when it was brand new it had 3 miles on it. I only had it for a month and a half and waiting to see if it was a braking in thing.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> dup4fun,

Have you had the vehicle inspected for this issue?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 2nd, 2013, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

No I was waiting until my first oil change to see if it stops.