Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/)
-   -   Trying to program key fob, 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/trying-program-key-fob-1999-chevy-silverado-1500-a-53319/)

BostonCelticsBanner18 September 25th, 2012 4:08 PM

Trying to program key fob, 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500

Like the title says, I have a 1999 Silverado 1500 that I bought several years ago used, and it had no key fob. Well I finally got around to getting one, but I can't program it.

I've followed all of the steps I've found online (hold the unlock, turn ignition on and off,ect) but the truck will not enter the programming mode. Does anyone have any idea why the truck wouldn't be entering the programming mode? Thanks for any replies!

larryo September 25th, 2012 9:11 PM

are you sure your truck has the rke option [remote keyless entry] ?

oldchevy September 25th, 2012 9:51 PM

Do you have electric door locks? Is the truck a LS or LT? I have a 99 Silverado LS and I just bought a new key fob and it programmed the first try. Did you get the correct key fob for your truck?

spyncycle September 26th, 2012 5:46 PM

The instructions usually say to turn the key on and off 2 times. Try 3 times instead.

Mike2002GMCSIERRA September 26th, 2012 9:07 PM

I am having the same problem with my 2001 Suburban LT and my 2002 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT. My wife drives the suburban we purchased it a couple of years ago and never got a remote with it so today i stopped at local graveyard and purchased a remote and followed the steps online and the vehicle would not go into program mode. I also tried turning key three times instead of two times. My Sierra has Keyless Entry so i tried it on that and it would not go into program mode either. Any advice?

BostonCelticsBanner18 September 27th, 2012 1:36 PM

Originally Posted by larryo (Post 227674)
are you sure your truck has the rke option [remote keyless entry] ?

Originally Posted by oldchevy (Post 227677)
Do you have electric door locks? Is the truck a LS or LT? I have a 99 Silverado LS and I just bought a new key fob and it programmed the first try. Did you get the correct key fob for your truck?

It's an LS model... And I'm not sure it has the RKE option, but considering it wont enter program mode, maybe it doesn't?

About the key fob, I'm also not sure if it is the correct one, but being as the truck wont go into program mode, I haven't had the chance to find out. It should be the right key fob though..

Thanks for the replies. How would I go about finding out of it does indeed have that option?

larryo September 27th, 2012 2:43 PM

check option tag in glove box for auo that is rko

BostonCelticsBanner18 September 27th, 2012 3:19 PM

Originally Posted by larryo (Post 227811)
check option tag in glove box for auo that is rko

Looked in glove box.. Not sure what the "option tag" is..?

I just saw a sticker that had a bunch of random numbers and letters in sets of 3...

larryo September 27th, 2012 9:44 PM

those are your option codes look for AUO

Doug Roberts September 29th, 2012 12:07 AM

you have to jump obd2 port to 4 and 8 and turn key on oof three times then hold down lock and unlock i believe
i have same truck my problem is finding a key fob

BostonCelticsBanner18 October 11th, 2012 7:23 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Roberts (Post 227933)
you have to jump obd2 port to 4 and 8 and turn key on oof three times then hold down lock and unlock i believe

Nah, I tried that...

There isn't even anything in (port 8 I believe) I tried that.

spyncycle October 12th, 2012 2:34 PM

Check this site. It has free programming directions for lots of vehicles.
Free Keyless Remote Fob Entry programming instructions, procedures for all automotive vehicles

BostonCelticsBanner18 October 16th, 2012 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by spyncycle (Post 229311)
Check this site. It has free programming directions for lots of vehicles.
Free Keyless Remote Fob Entry programming instructions, procedures for all automotive vehicles

Appreciate the help, but it's not like I'm doing the procedure wrong.

I'm just convinced the truck doesn't have the option for some gay reason

99 Silverado 3 door December 3rd, 2012 11:12 PM

Programming the key fob

Hi Guys,
I got this from my 1999 Silverado owner's manual:

"To resynchronize your transmitter, stand close to your
vehicle and press and hold the LOCK and UNLOCK
buttons on the transmitter at the same time for seven
seconds. The door locks should cycle to confirm
synchronization. If the locks do not cycle, see your
dealer for service."

Also the manual says the battery is a CR2032 3 volt.

Hope this helps.

Bradley D September 19th, 2013 6:18 PM

i'm working on a 99 gmc z71 that doesnt have anything in port 8 or 1 wtf ?

jfayadjr May 4th, 2018 11:11 PM

I am also having an issue programming my remotes. I tried holding down the unlock button and cycling the ignition (on-off-on-off. Nothing. I tried the jumper wire way but my ODB2 port does not have a tab in the #8 spot. What now???

99 Silverado 3 door May 5th, 2018 4:12 AM

1. Start with ignition off.
2. Press and hold unlock button on drivers door, the locks will cycle once.
3. Turn ignition on-off-on-off.
4. Release unlock button, the locks will cycle once.
5. Hold down lock and unlock keys on keyfob transmitter until locks cycle (about 15 seconds).
6. Repeat step 5. for remaining keyfobs (up to 4 total)
7. Turn ignition on to exit the programming mode. Programming is now complete
On step 5 you have to hold down the unlock and lock buttons on the remote at the same time till you see the doors lock then it will be complete.........
I just reprogramed my 99 xcab remote with this procedure and it worked
Hope this helps......

The above instructions were the ones I used. I don't have a 99 xcab just a 3 door 99 Silverado
Also when I did mine it took up to 30 seconds for it to program while holding the key fob buttons.
I also thought I was doing it wrong but by holding both lock and unlock buttons, which seemed like forever, it finally programmed.

jfayadjr May 5th, 2018 10:29 PM

StI'll doesn't work

Did everything. Even held the remote buttons for a full min. Still nothing.

robin renfro June 11th, 2018 6:18 PM

Originally Posted by jfayadjr (Post 356643)

I'm having the same problem did you ever figure it out please let me know thank you

robin renfro June 11th, 2018 6:19 PM

Originally Posted by jfayadjr (Post 356643)

<br />I'm having the same problem did you ever figure it out please let me know thank you

jfayadjr June 11th, 2018 6:20 PM

No I have not figured it out still. I'll probably end up going to the dealer unfortunately.

MadMan January 19th, 2019 3:22 PM

2000 z 71

Originally Posted by jfayadjr (Post 358221)
No I have not figured it out still. I'll probably end up going to the dealer unfortunately.

I realize this is old but I been having same issue, after reading a lot of info I found a forum that said to pull the high beam selector back and hold it instead of the unlock button, it worked on my 2000 model, everything worked perfect ! All steps completed and the new remote cycled when I held both buttons, but the fob still will not work????

jfayadjr January 19th, 2019 3:27 PM

I'll have to try that!!! Thank you!!

Aaa091600 March 15th, 2019 5:03 PM

Mine worked as well and cycled through with the key fob. Key fob will not work after either. Did you find a solution?

jfayadjr March 15th, 2019 5:05 PM

No not yet. Pisses me off!

Aaa091600 March 15th, 2019 5:19 PM

I can’t find anywhere else online that says to do it that way. It’s the ONLY thing that has put it into programming mode though.

jfayadjr March 15th, 2019 5:23 PM

Mine goes into programming mode using the original method (unlock button) but my remote will not program. It's the correct one for my vin. I just don't want to take it to a dealer and pay out my ass. I was actually thinking of getting an aftermarket car lock system. Saw one online for $12! Everything included!

Jeremy Hubbard March 15th, 2019 6:06 PM

RKE issues

Originally Posted by jfayadjr (Post 402935)
Mine goes into programming mode using the original method (unlock button) but my remote will not program. It's the correct one for my vin. I just don't want to take it to a dealer and pay out my ass. I was actually thinking of getting an aftermarket car lock system. Saw one online for $12! Everything included!

If you cannot enter program mode your issue is with the BCM located under steering column.
if you enter program mode and remotes do not respond your issue is with the receiver located under dash pad above instrument cluster.

MadMan March 15th, 2019 9:27 PM

Key fob

The fobs respond after you cycle them but then they stop?

jfayadjr March 15th, 2019 9:50 PM

I thought it might be that. Can I get one from a junk yard or do I have to order it new?

MadMan March 15th, 2019 11:13 PM

Fob

Originally Posted by jfayadjr (Post 403625)
I thought it might be that. Can I get one from a junk yard or do I have to order it new?

we have to figure this one out! No way any of us wanna spend another dime! My fob just broke! It was working but it's 19 years old! I ordered two new fobs and I don't and won't spend more ! Dang the techno

jfayadjr March 15th, 2019 11:19 PM

I like the way you think!

99 Silverado 3 door March 16th, 2019 8:21 AM

Maybe. Maybe Not.
On my 99 I ordered two fobs. Mine came with a little plastic sticky thingie on the + side of the battery. I didn't find that out until I tried everything else. I thought that maybe they didn't come with batteries so I took them apart to see. There was that white plastic sticky thing on them. I think it's mainly to keep the battery fresh and not leak and corrode like a flashlight will if left sitting for months. After reading this thread that's about all I can come up with.

MadMan March 16th, 2019 9:50 AM

Fob

Originally Posted by 99 Silverado 3 door (Post 405174)
Maybe. Maybe Not.
On my 99 I ordered two fobs. Mine came with a little plastic sticky thingie on the + side of the battery. I didn't find that out until I tried everything else. I thought that maybe they didn't come with batteries so I took them apart to see. There was that white plastic sticky thing on them. I think it's mainly to keep the battery fresh and not leak and corrode like a flashlight will if left sitting for months. After reading this thread that's about all I can come up with.

I'll go try that

Jeremy Hubbard March 16th, 2019 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jfayadjr (Post 403625)

You can get the bcm and or receiver at a junk yard cheap..make sure p/n's match some interchange others dont (junkyard units are hit and miss but if they dont work they will exchange)
you need to test units with a tech2 or scanner that has immobilizer function to verify operation ..and definately so to program any donor units if original non functional

MadMan March 16th, 2019 10:40 AM

Fob

No plastic on battery, tried to program again, holding the muti function/ high beam lever back and cycle the key to on/of twice and release it and locks cycled lock/unlock, then held fob lock and unlock together and locks cycled, then turn ignition to on to exit program mode, fobs still don't work!!! Calf rope!!! Lol

MadMan March 16th, 2019 5:59 PM

Key fob

Originally Posted by MadMan (Post 405550)
No plastic on battery, tried to program again, holding the muti function/ high beam lever back and cycle the key to on/of twice and release it and locks cycled lock/unlock, then held fob lock and unlock together and locks cycled, then turn ignition to on to exit program mode, fobs still don't work!!! Calf rope!!! Lol

I just got both of mine to program, follow the original steps by holding down the unlock switch on drivers door, now here's what mine did, I did it 3 times or so and locks did not cycle, But it was very quiet outside and I heard something try to activate??? Not loud at all, so I grabbed remote and held lock and unlock at same time for I am guessing a minute seemed like!! Shazam the doors locks cycled, so I grabbed the other new one and repeated , after about 30 seconds the doors locks cycled, turned key to on position to exit . And BAM! They both work!! Hallaegh Jesus!! Thank you Lord!!!!

Jeremyloyd October 9th, 2019 5:08 PM

No #4

Originally Posted by Doug Roberts (Post 227933)

My 99 doesn't have a pin in #8. But does have the right repo code but still doesn't work

Jeremyloyd October 9th, 2019 5:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hubbard (Post 403046)
If you cannot enter program mode your issue is with the BCM located under steering column.
if you enter program mode and remotes do not respond your issue is with the receiver located under dash pad above instrument cluster.

What if it doesn't go in program mode?

tech2 October 9th, 2019 6:08 PM

do you have 99 old body style (looks like a 1998) or 99 new body style(look like a 2000)?

completely different builds and what works for a new body style won't work for an old body style.