Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

vacuum leak?

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2012, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vacuum leak?

using a combustion tester to test for a head/gasket failure, but for some reason the vacuum on the engine is weak, it will not suck hard enough. do not have a smoke detector so cannot find leak that way.

what hose would be best to blow smoke into? hopefully not brake booster

98 5.7L vortec

guess i could use a sack with a hole cut out and tied to intake tube
phewww, talk about out of breath

Last edited by chevyguy1523; August 17th, 2012 at 4:06 PM.
Old August 17th, 2012, 4:52 PM
CF Active Member

pressure test the egr and on the back of the carb, if you got one.... damn this site is laggy as hell
Old August 17th, 2012, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

have tested the egr few months ago, but could get no reading. the pintle i guess you call it was black , so i cleaned it with carb cleaner.....will try again
Old August 17th, 2012, 8:56 PM
CF Junior Member

get a few spray cans of carb and coke cleaner. when the engine is running spray every gasket and line, and when the motor starts to bog, you have found your vacuum leak the 5.7 vortecs are notorious for intake/throttle body leaks... let us know what you find
Old August 17th, 2012, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

i used a whole can of carb cleaner. found nothing.. also the haynes manual says the egr valve must be tested by a professional. i wonder what them guys use to test them. i thought it was a multimeter, but that is for something else.....

it was trying to stall all during the winter at idle, but it would always revv back up.. but all summer it has been ok..

i found a vacuum that was so strong it sucked antifreeze from deep down in the radiator up in the test tube, so i changed test liquid and allowed it to barely suck 1-2 bubbles a sec. waited for 5 minutes guess it has no combustion leaks.. but small amount of antifreeze disappears, also read a bad egr valve could cause antifreeze to go in the exhaust, ....

guess 1st thing to do next is check the codes

Last edited by chevyguy1523; August 17th, 2012 at 9:48 PM.
Old August 17th, 2012, 10:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by chevyguy1523
i used a whole can of carb cleaner. found nothing.. also the haynes manual says the egr valve must be tested by a professional. i wonder what them guys use to test them. i thought it was a multimeter, but that is for something else.....

it was trying to stall all during the winter at idle, but it would always revv back up.. but all summer it has been ok..

i found a vacuum that was so strong it sucked antifreeze from deep down in the radiator up in the test tube, so i changed test liquid and allowed it to barely suck 1-2 bubbles a sec. waited for 5 minutes guess it has no combustion leaks.. but small amount of antifreeze disappears, also read a bad egr valve could cause antifreeze to go in the exhaust, ....

guess 1st thing to do next is check the codes
have you done a leak down test on the cylinders by any chance?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 1:21 AM
CF Beginner

no leak down test, have heard of it before.
i will research about it, and hopefully perform one
not sure but do you take out one plug and use a compression tester?
Old August 22nd, 2012, 8:17 AM
CF Junior Member

no leak down test, have heard of it before.
i will research about it, and hopefully perform one
not sure but do you take out one plug and use a compression tester?
you need a leak down test kit. matcotools has one at a decent price.. what you do is remove a plug, turn the sylinder to tdc on its compression stroke, and you hook the guages in the kit up to it and fill the cylinder with air... watch the gauges... if the cylinder is bad, the pressure will drop rather fast. listen for it coming out of the exhaust, throttle body, and through the valve covers. if its coming from the exhaust you have a bad exhaust valve, intake, intake valve, valve cover, bad rings... and also, while its at idle take a wrench and tap on the egr see if it changes the idle any. also, make sure mone of the bolts in the egr are stripped. if they are thats a vaccuum leak of BP oil spill Proportions...

Matco Leak down Tester - http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...EAKAGE-TESTER/
i have this one and i am very happy with it - http://www.matcotools.com/catalog/pr...GE-TESTER-KIT/

Last edited by GM_tech92; August 22nd, 2012 at 8:31 AM. Reason: added link to leak down tester
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

have not performed a leak down test,
however, the check engine light showed

p1345
p0161
p1345 {do not know why it read twice}

maybe since the intake gasket and distributor gear was recently replaced, the cam is advanced or retarded

should i use a scanner to see the readings, and while the idle is above 1,000 try to move the distributor gear until the correct reading shows up?

also which oxygen sensor is p0161?

i know this post has nothing to do with a vacuum leak, unless that is the reason for p0161?

Last edited by chevyguy1523; August 25th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old August 27th, 2012, 5:57 PM
CF Junior Member

have not performed a leak down test,
however, the check engine light showed

p1345
p0161
p1345 {do not know why it read twice}

maybe since the intake gasket and distributor gear was recently replaced, the cam is advanced or retarded

should i use a scanner to see the readings, and while the idle is above 1,000 try to move the distributor gear until the correct reading shows up?

also which oxygen sensor is p0161?

i know this post has nothing to do with a vacuum leak, unless that is the reason for p0161?
p0161 is bank 2 sensor 2 (heated oxygen sensor or H02S) it is post catalytic converter. check your wiring. make sure it has good ground. and you need to get the symptom codes too.. thats why it has p1345 twice... it will show up as p1345 symptom 00 or p1345 symptom 01 (or p1345.00/p1345.01) this is a light to your crank/cam position sensor.. im literally copy pasting the diagnostic aid here for you from SI

Check the following items:

• A loose CMP sensor causing a variance in the sensor signal
• Excessive free play in the timing chain and gear assembly
• Incorrectly installed distributor - 1 tooth off in either advance or retard positions
• A loose distributor rotor on the distributor shaft
• A loose or missing distributor hold down bolt

i have also seen burred gears on the cam and distributor cause this... if you have this code and any of the following are to blame, you will see a fluctuation at idle... up too twice of desired idle speed... after re-reading your previous posts.. is your cat clogged? a clogged cat causes a serious drop in engine vacuum... so does jumped timing.. any time the car is running poorly you will lose vacuum.. what happens if you open the throttle up while its idling? does it stumble and eventually rev? does it pop and backfire through the throttle body? is it trying to die at idle? how did you perform a compression test? was it with a gauge? what was your reading?

Last edited by GM_tech92; August 27th, 2012 at 6:12 PM.

Quick Reply: vacuum leak?