Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

"Popping and pulsating" when stopping

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2008, 7:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Popping and pulsating" when stopping

I have a 1992 Shortbed, automatic, 305CID. For a year now, since I bought it used, it has been popping and pulsating in rythm upon slowing to a stop, popping harder and louder the harder I push on the pedal. The sound is coming from what I think is the driver rear wheel. I have had both back wheels off and looked at the pads and springs. All is together. There is a tiny bit of uneven pad wear on the driver side shoes. This wear is long ways, top to bottom, thinner at the top, thicker at the bottom, on one pad only, the one closest to the back bumper. It dies not do the popping in reverse. I have tried. I am leaking no fluid, was at first, but it quit. (?) As it pulsates, it will give-grab-give-grab...etc.... Whats happening back there?
Old August 30th, 2008, 8:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: "Popping and pulsating" when stopping

well, it's quite simple indeed, but, first of all, i am glad that YOU are not leaking any fluids, THAT is not good sign and takes some heavy antibiotics to fix.
(sorry, i could not stand temptation)

as of your problem you need to take brake drums off and have them turned. might as well do front ones same time to save on trips.
it should look like zebra on your brake shoes, as it's catching only in some areas (gloss) and does not in others (no gloss). when you go in reverse, pattern changes as drum/shoes mate differently, so it does not catch/release. should you be driving in reverse for substantial time, it'd show itself.
easy enough fix, just call around for $$, many parts stores/gas station repair shops have the best price around. all use same machine anyway.
Old September 1st, 2008, 11:47 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Popping and pulsating" when stopping

I went to PepBoys and got the driver rear drum turned. It had an "imprint" of the brake pad surface. You could see and feel the shape of the shoe and the rivets. Thats gone now after machining. Some of the pulsation is gone, but when it's cold, drums are cold rather and been sitting, it does pop. As you drive and heat it, the popping get's quieter, but is still there, especially there when I push hard on the pedal. It's a little better. Other than rotor turning does anyone have any suggestions? Again I inspected the brake springs and shoes, they look normal. The piston is leaking though, on one side, but not profusely.