Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

00' K3500 4wd trans issue

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2015, 12:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00' K3500 4wd trans issue

Howdy men! So I've been doin some research on an intermittent issue I'm having with my truck and I think I've got it narrowed down to a few different options. Just wanted to run the scenario by you guys to get an up to date opinion in case someones gone through this recently.

What I got: 2000 Chevy Crew Cab long bed with a high top cap on it. It's a big truck! 5.7L 125k on the ticker. No mods to engine or trans.

The skinny:
Back in the spring, I was on my way home from fishing, towing my 19ft (fiberglass...its heavy) boat down a flat rd. I always tow it in 3rd, never OD. Don't really haul it too far away from home. 2hrs at most and always in 3rd. Well, being the jack *** that I am, I decided to drive the last 5 miles home in OD to see how it affected my fuel consumption. All flat roads, shouldn't be a big deal!.. Instead of shifting into OD, I mistakenly down shifted into 2nd going about 50-55 mph. Truck lurched forward as expected but I immediately shifted back to 3rd. From then on, shifts from stop lights and stop signs, ect were hard. Got home, unhooked the boat and went for a ride up the road. Just as I expected, I still had hard shifts, but I couldn't get OD no matter how hard I pushed the truck. Brought it home and parked it until I could get time for a trans service....that time comes, take the truck out to warm it up before I drop the pan and it drives flawlessly, like there was never an issue. Now before any of this happened and still to this day, when it doesn't act up, you can't even feel this thing shift, its so smooth.....Do the trans service with a jug of Lucas, nothing out of the ordinary in the pan, everythings still shifts fine. Month or so later after driving it around town all day, I hop on the highway, cruising at high speed on flat ground. Out of nowhere, it drops outta OD into third like it was doing before, and got hard shifts from stops. I noticed that when this happens, and I let off the throttle, the RPM's drop straight off, even at 70mph or so, like there's no load on the motor. But as soon as I apply the throttle again, It'll jump back up to 2500-3000 depending on the speed im going on the highway. Shut the truck down and let it sit for a few minutes and it acts as if nothing ever happened.
It did it to me 2 more times recently. One time was while traveling a long distance, up and down mountains. Another time was while driving it all day long. Each of the times it's happened to me, I haven't been loaded down or towing anything of any significance. I don't want to continue to drive this thing and make the problem worse.
It has not been hooked up to a Tech 2 yet either to check for codes. All the research I've done only brings up issues with older trucks from the early to mid 90's. That's why I'm here asking you guys. I'm aware these trans went into many different model years, but I also know there were some slight differences in some of them.

Shift Sol??
TPS??
Brake switch??

Thoughts? Prayers?
Thanks guys!