Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

00' Silverado 1500 Heavy Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2009, 4:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 00' Silverado 1500 Heavy Oil Leak

I just bought this truck and took it in to get an oil change and was told there was a heavy oil leak... my question is what parts can possible cause this so I can take a look at it and get it fixed?
Old October 3rd, 2009, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey ChevyChic,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums. What's the mileage of this "badly leaking engine"?

Funny you didn't notice an oil leak yourself, before you took it in. Had you been noticing low oil pressure? 20+PSI while it's running hot is acceptable pressure, leak or no. Did you have to add extra oil to keep it running?

Didn't you notice an oil slick where you park your truck? Try placing some sheets of newspaper under the engine at night where you park the truck. There should be oil on the newspaper in the morning if it truly has a "bad oil leak".

Things are tough all over, but it truly must have been a bad oil leak for the mechanic to have noticed it during the time it took him to change your oil.

The best advice I can ever offer is never take some mechanic's word for it. It always pays to verify, either by checking yourself, or by getting the opinion of someone who won't financially benefit from the proposed repairs.

As to bad parts, the rear main seal is generally the culprit, possibly the front seal. Also bad valve cover gaskets caused by a clogged PCV valve.(In which case you should have seen and smelled smoke.)

Last edited by therewolf; October 3rd, 2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old October 4th, 2009, 12:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that is odd, the only thing I have ever heard of leaking on these is the oil cooler lines and they do not leak that much