Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

00 z71 4x4 Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2018 | 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default 00 z71 4x4 Transmission issue

my cousin and i rebuilt my transmission.(4l60e) 3rd and 4th gear were not working. tore it down, clutches and things looked fine, went ahead and installed new clutch packs, solenoids, new valve body gaskets, seals, o rings, new torque converter, filter. after all that, still no 3rd or 4th, i put truck in drive, and it acts like its in neutral. i can put it in 1st or 2nd gear and truck drives. no third, or 4th, same as before rebuilding it. i work on air conditioners for a living, so im completely lost. my question is, could it be the neutral safety/range selector switch on the side of the transmission? the plug connectors are a little melted, i know im getting 12 volts to main harness going into transmission, any help would be appreciated, THANKS
Old December 31st, 2018 | 4:06 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by mmayo550
my cousin and i rebuilt my transmission.(4l60e) 3rd and 4th gear were not working. tore it down, clutches and things looked fine, went ahead and installed new clutch packs, solenoids, new valve body gaskets, seals, o rings, new torque converter, filter. after all that, still no 3rd or 4th, i put truck in drive, and it acts like its in neutral. i can put it in 1st or 2nd gear and truck drives. no third, or 4th, same as before rebuilding it. i work on air conditioners for a living, so im completely lost. my question is, could it be the neutral safety/range selector switch on the side of the transmission? the plug connectors are a little melted, i know im getting 12 volts to main harness going into transmission, any help would be appreciated, THANKS
I honestly wish you had a question about auto A/C since I am an expert mechanic in that field of auto repair, but not an expert in auto trannies. Did you put a new sprag in?