Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

05 brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2009, 5:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 brake light switch

Is there an adjutment for the brake light switch in my 05 Z71??
Its strange to explain whats going on, but when i slow down to a stop, as im easing up on the brake pedal the lights will go off for a second then come back on again, even just barely releasing pressure off the pedal makes them shut off as im still on the brakes pretty hard.... i dont belive its just a traditional style switch at the top of the pedals travel, its more like pressure activated or something but slow to react.
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:39 AM
CF Beginner

Just replaced one on my 96 Z71, its a pain. And its not slow to retract, theres very little travel in the switch at all. Even the slightest pressure on the brake pedal engages the switch, and if its working properly, it doesnt disengage until the brakes are fully released. They are notorious for going out, you can check and see if the switch is positioned correctly, and check all fuses, and the wiring harness from under the hood all the way to the taillights themselves. A break in insulation on the wires could cause a short making them come on and off. If all that checks out, I would just replace the switch, theyre only around 10 dollars.
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

I did some studying, And you have a totally different type switch than me. Those trucks dont have traditional brake switches, they have a pedal position sensor, working on 5 volts. I would still check the wiring harness, but you probably need to pull the switch out and check and see if yout getting proper voltage with a volt meter
Old January 30th, 2010, 4:57 AM
CF Active Member

yea its really strange how it works. its been ok lately for some reason, i can always see the glow on the tailgate so i tend to watch it alot.
Old January 30th, 2010, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

I definitely agree with the strange part. Most of those switches work on 12 volts like everything else. But yours runs on 5 volts, and instead of all the brake lights being on one circuit together, yours are all separate, giving you three circuits. Not an improvement if ya ask me, I say if it aint broke, dont fix it. Of course, with my attitude we would all still have solid front axles instead of IFS. (Which I wouldnt complain about lol)