Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

05 Silverado bouncing everywhere

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2010, 10:19 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Silverado bouncing everywhere

05 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 v8 4.8l 149k miles.

I want to make my ride a little smoother. I notice that this truck is real rough and bouncy. Seems like I am going to bounce off the road when the road is rough. Like my tires are too inflated. I have check them and they are fine (tires P265/70R17).

Will shocks or struts help out? I know trucks are suppose to be a little rough but seems to be a little too much.

Thanks all!
<!-- / message -->
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bounce the truck up and down by jumping up and down on the bumper, then jump off, (do this front and back) if it doesnt settle down right away, then time for new shocks, may be your problem
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shocks could help big time....what ply are your tires?
Old August 31st, 2010, 9:56 AM
CF Junior Member

i stood on the back of the truck and bounced and then jumped off. The truck bounced for 4-5 times before it settled down. Is that the shocks?
Old August 31st, 2010, 6:20 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by juddkennedy
i stood on the back of the truck and bounced and then jumped off. The truck bounced for 4-5 times before it settled down. Is that the shocks?
Yup. Most likely.
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM
CF Junior Member

What brands are good for that truck. I do not do any off roading, just casual driving. What about cost? Is it a easy job to replace them?
Old September 1st, 2010, 5:17 PM
CF Active Member

I have Bilstein HD's on my 05 Z71. I'm pretty happy with them. They may be a touch stiffer than you are looking for from what you say. You would probably be happy with whatever Monroe suggests for your model. Probably what the stocks are anyway.
Old September 1st, 2010, 8:14 PM
CF Active Member

MONROE GASMATICS are by far the best ride. is yours a 4X4? They will help a bunch
Old September 2nd, 2010, 7:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by juddkennedy
Absolutely, they are DONE! After a little research, I found this on another site. It agrees with what I've found.

Twin-tube Low Pressure Gas
A shock absorber or strut can be a low pressure gas, twin tube design. This basic design has not changed too much since the 60's, but there have been some refinements over the years. This design has some characteristics, such as a soft valving, and usually costs less to manufacture than a Monotube or Adjustable type shock absorber. They are usually pressurized with some Nitrogen gas, usually 100 psi or less. In this design the hydraulic oil and gas are mixed together in the same chamber, which, while dampening, causes some aeration/foaming. Monroe Auto Equipment, Bilstein, and KYB GR2 still make units like these.

Mono-tube High Pressure Gas
A shock absorber or strut can be a high pressure, mono tube design. These are a more modern type design, and have characteristics of their own. The monotube design allows them to operate cooler. Monotubes are under high pressure, from around 200 psi, to as high as 360 psi. The hydraulic oil and Nitrogen gas are in separate chambers, separated by a floating piston. This allows the shock/strut to function without any aeration or foaming. Monotube shocks usually have a stiff valving, and traditionally cost more to manufacture. They are also able to withstand more punishment, and offer higher dampening ability. (for instance, most racing shocks, from Nascar to Formula One, are of a monotube design). Great care and engineering is taken into consideration when manufacturing a monotube, and many have a very specific valving. This is years of racing technology adapted for street and off-road use. Some of the companies that make monotube shocks are Bilstein , Edelbrock, and KYB.

Last edited by 99ChevyZ71; September 2nd, 2010 at 8:02 AM.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 9:00 AM
CF Junior Member

awesome information! Thanks all for the data!

Quick Reply: 05 Silverado bouncing everywhere