Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

'06 Tailgate Problem

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2007, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Tailgate Problem

Anybody else have any problems with their tailgate? While opening the tailgate it slipped out of my hand and fell open, landing kind of hard. The right side came off, banging into the quarter panel while still attached to the cable. Thank God my fingers were out of the way. It turns out the opening for removing the tailgate on the round keeper (for lack of a better word), is much too large. The gate comes off at nearly fully open. The truck had 2900 miles on it. I brought it back to the dealer who wanted nothing to do with me, told me someone tried to pry it off. Bogus story, even their body guy said the tailgate caused the damage. Also, I don't know if it has anything to do with this problem but the left side cable is too long and does not support the gate. The service manager told me they were designed that way, one should be longer than the other, couldn't tell me why though. They offered to fix the damage for $950. Next I call Chevy's customer service number from my owner's manual and they spoke to the service manager at the dealership and without even looking at the truck, tell me "we don't want to persue this any farther".I spoke to the owner of the dealership and he assured me that the regional manager would check it out. This thing happened on December 22. Haven't heard a word. Looking to find out if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone knows how I can take this to the next level. BTW, the truck is prime, other that this.
Old March 26th, 2007, 8:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: '06 Tailgate Problem

Mine just broke the cable already. I only had a few thousand miles on it at the time.