Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

09 Silverado Hybrid - PULSING ISSUE- Can anyone Help?

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2021, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 09 Silverado Hybrid - PULSING ISSUE- Can anyone Help?

I have a 2009 Hybrid Silverado with 142kmiles. I purchased it about 3months ago in June. Today was the 1st chilly day we've had and I went to drive to work. It started fine, and ran like normal. I drove about 50ft down my driveway when I remembered something, so I started to backup. In reverse it was like flooring the truck, then slamming on the brake, but I was only just applying the gas. It was a heavy surging and I stopped, then tried again, and the same thing. Something isn't happy, but I'm not sure where to start.
I really regret buying a Hybrid already and I've only had it 3months. For the 1-2mpg i save, it SUCKS!!!
GM---SHAME ON YOU!!!!

AND FYI!!!! This truck Doesn't have a 4speed trans. It says 1-4 on the "manual" part of the shifter, but thats just leftover from the regular trucks. It has a GM 2LM70 Trans which is CVT! No Gears...

If anyone knows what this surging is, please let me know...
Thanks
Old September 26th, 2021, 5:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 234 Posts

Just FYI - there’s plenty of gears in the 2ML70 - it’s not what most people think of when they hear CVT. Here’s a couple of websites that discuss it to varying degrees -

https://www.vehicleservicepros.com/s...d-transmission

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...han-the-prius/

It sounds like there could be an internal leak resulting in slipping and then sudden engagement. If this has been a one time problem or there’s no other drivability concerns (including engine or drive train problems), start with the basics.

1) Check fluid level and condition. Ideally transmission fluid temperature is in the 150*F - 180*F range for an accurate hot check. Fluid should be clean and clear and not smell burnt.

2) Try scanning for codes even if the CEL isn’t on.

3) Inspect the wiring harness for damage and repair as necessary.

4) Inspect the shifter cable bushing where it hooks up to the transmission shift lever - these are known for wearing out and can cause the transmission manual shift lever to not fully engage the selected gear.