Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

09 Silverado LS Keyless Entry

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by edreaux
Well I took it to the local dealer and this is what happened.
Friday: Gave them my VIN and they said they could do it for $45 but it would require about 20 mins and asked me to come back Monday.
Monday: (I left work 15mins early) They took the truck in the shop and after about 25 mins said they would need more time. Asked me to come back next day.
Tuesday: (I left work 1hr early) They said they were not able to do it. I asked to speak to the manager and they took the truck again into the shop and came back and said they could do it for $195.

So I guess I will just not have keyless. I hate dealing with dealerships.
Yah, especially shop time, they add in the time it takes to park the car and get it from the lot, of course it's book time so it is priced from the largest parking lot!
Old September 3rd, 2011, 8:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by basilkies
While the "you can't program the fob" answer is right in your case, you can actually reprogram a fob if you have the original fob which gives you access to the reprogram.

I suggest you also get a manual, I find these new rigs so complicated that I have to reread the instructions to use all the functions on the heating and air conditioning system. And the radio, it's like TOO MUCH INFORMATION! So what if it has the ability to save pages of stations, who can do it and who can find them. If a person can do it I bet he drives over 20,000 miles a year!
you can add a key this way but i didn't think you could add a fob. What is the procedure? I don't have a manual.
Old October 24th, 2011, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Decided to pay to have remote start added since that would give me keyless also. Called same dealer on Friday to inquire about it and provided VIN and RPO codes and they said they could do it for $165. (only one fob is cheaper) Dropped off truck on Sunday night and put key in drop-box. Dealer called Monday at 9am and said they couldn't do it. As for whether or not there is something wrong with the truck... shouldn't the dealer shop be able to tell me that? Bad service...perhaps with better trained techs i would not have made five (5) trips just to find out it can't be done.
Old October 25th, 2011, 5:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by edreaux
Decided to pay to have remote start added since that would give me keyless also. Called same dealer on Friday to inquire about it and provided VIN and RPO codes and they said they could do it for $165. (only one fob is cheaper) Dropped off truck on Sunday night and put key in drop-box. Dealer called Monday at 9am and said they couldn't do it. As for whether or not there is something wrong with the truck... shouldn't the dealer shop be able to tell me that? Bad service...perhaps with better trained techs i would not have made five (5) trips just to find out it can't be done.
you need rpo auo, ap3 or ap8 to add remote start for this vehicle. You don't have these options so additional parts would be needed; not just the usual remote start kit.

WHEN YOU BUY A USED TRUCK that is equipped with remote start from factory and you don't get fobs; don't you wonder why? There was an existing problem that the seller didn't want to fix so they tossed the fobs.

of coarse this is the dealer and untrained techs fault that you bought a truck with faulty keyless entry that needed additional diagnostic time! How is a tech supposed to know the system is inop untill they try to add the fobs and are unsucessfull?

What did they charge you and what did they say? There is more to the story.

Last edited by tech2; October 25th, 2011 at 6:07 PM.
Old October 27th, 2011, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Tuesday morning i got a call from the same dealer and he said he found some sort of bulletin from GM and could do it after all. He read part of the bulletin to me and apparently the RPO AU3 gives you keyless but the 5B5 removes it. But at the bottom of the bulletin was instructions to receive "calibrations" to add options. So the new quote to add remote will cost $350 out the door. $200 parts, $50 gm calibrations, $100 labor. Higher than i originally thought but still an option i would like to have. So they ordered the parts. Hope it works out when the parts come in.