Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1500 4wd ?'s

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 4wd ?'s

I appologize I don't know all the correct terms but bare with me.

My problem is in the shaft that is on the driver's side front. The shaft that connects the front wheel to the (transfer case?) is making a pretty bad sqeek and gets worse when I turn. I took the brake caliper off and spun the rotor and you can feel it catch and get tighter for about 1/3 of the revolution.

Assuming there are u-joints inside the boots......can they be replaced or does the entire shaft assembly have to be replaced?

Thanks in advance!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 5:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely you will have to do the whole shaft I did one in a 1994 chevy and napa told me I needed the whole unit it should cost about 120$ which isnt too bad
Old June 2nd, 2009, 5:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it gets worse when you turn it is most likely a front wheel bearing. This is how you can tell... Jack the front end of the truck up. Now put your hands at 6 and 12 on the tire is there any play? If there is and it is not coming from your ball joint the front hub assembly will need to be replaced. Also check to see if your Cvhalfshaft botts are torn.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 9:53 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
If it gets worse when you turn it is most likely a front wheel bearing. This is how you can tell... Jack the front end of the truck up. Now put your hands at 6 and 12 on the tire is there any play? If there is and it is not coming from your ball joint the front hub assembly will need to be replaced. Also check to see if your Cvhalfshaft botts are torn.
ditto! squeaking noise points to hub bearing.

respects to suzuki, but i was told to check ball joint differently:
raise the side in question, locate lower ball joint in control arm, wedge prybar between the hub, where the ball joint is attached, and control arm. it is not easy, ledge is very small. then, pry control arm up. if you observe play between the ball joint stud and control arm, or hear click, ball joint needs to be replaced.
sorry, boss, control arm then must be removed and joint pressed out. if you are good with sledge hammer.....
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, i don't think i have ever heard an axle shaft squeek before, mostly clunk then when they break all i hear is "s**t"