Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1500 -90 runs bad after failed start attempt

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2006, 9:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 -90 runs bad after failed start attempt

1500 -90 petrol

The other thay, I let go of the key just when it was about to start (ran perfectly well before i stopped).
Engine got soaked. waited, tried, waited longer, tried.
Battery ran out, but a dude stopped to help me to jump start, his small car died as soon as I ran the start motor (and he eventually ran out of battery).

However, did keep on going, honestly I ran the starter for quite long intervals (by then I had 2 X 1 hour waits) and it did finally start.
Engine ran bad first (30 sec) but then everything back to normal, except the "service engine soon" lit up. (I don't have any tools to read error codes?)
Drove two more times that day, all good (except the indicator was still on)
Charged the battery, and disconnected it (hoping to get rid of the indicator), then the next day, hard time starting it, then it ran really rough (had to turn back), low rpm and it will die, thats how bad.

About to order parts, was thinking to start with plugs, cables, fuel filter etc.
But what puzzles me is that it's really the start problem that seems to cause this.

O2 sensor broken because exhaust was flooded with gas? Can that cause this problem?
Or kids putting snow in my tank?

Only other things worth mentioning, have a small leakue in the gas tank, and exhaust (quite far back).

Please excuse the half crappy English.
All feedback greatly appreceated.
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1500 -90 runs bad after failed start attempt

No, your already starting off bad. Don't go buying parts for it before diagnosing the problem. The first step is to see why that check engine light on. It's probably one of the valuable diagnostic info you can get.

What year is your truck?

I'm not saying plugs and wires wouldn't fix it but it's not time for them as far as maintenence schedule than don't change them. You could pull the plugs out and inspect them but again your waisting your time cause you need to get that check engine light figured out.
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:58 AM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: NCHEVYHEVN

No, your already starting off bad. Don't go buying parts for it before diagnosing the problem. The first step is to see why that check engine light on. It's probably one of the valuable diagnostic info you can get.

What year is your truck?

I'm not saying plugs and wires wouldn't fix it but it's not time for them as far as maintenence schedule than don't change them. You could pull the plugs out and inspect them but again your waisting your time cause you need to get that check engine light figured out.
I agree with getting the fault code first it is indeed a valuable diagnostic. this will put you in the right direction.

There are too many people that start changing every sensor they find in hopes they get lucky. Auto part stores love these people because you can't return them if it doesn't fix your problem.

Although buying plugs , wires , fuel filters , etc. isn't necessarily a bad thing ... these are maintenance items .
Old November 8th, 2006, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

You can always go to Autozone or Advance Auto Parts and get the error code tested free so then you'll know what the problem is. Then you can go from there. Or you can always go buy the tester and do it yourself at home.
Old November 8th, 2006, 1:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Munky

You can always go to Autozone or Advance Auto Parts and get the error code tested free so then you'll know what the problem is. Then you can go from there. Or you can always go buy the tester and do it yourself at home.
They only do OBD2 checks and it doesn't sound like this guy is from the USA so his choices might be limited.
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks guys.
Yes from Sweden, so mechanics with proper test instruments are limited (GM is not one of the most common brands). And have quite a bit to drive getting to one.

However, did some basic examination today, and looks like (this is getting hard, normal English I can write, but names of parts and stuff...) I may have found the problem.
First got scared when I noticed cooler fluid was low, but was a hose that wasnt tightened

Then checked ignition, sparks plugs, cables AND (no idea what the name of this part is) the cable goes in to an xxxxxx (closest word mathing in the lexicon would be "divider lid"), the "lid" with connectors looked terrible.
Will start with getting a new "lid" and a rotor.

Also checked the O2 sensor, looked like it was from world war 1
Feeling positive and confident, hope it turns out good.

Cheers!
Old November 11th, 2006, 12:44 PM
CF Junior Member

the word you are looking for is distributor cap.

Sound like you have it figured out..good luck.