Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1990 a/c question

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2012, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 a/c question

hello guys, just found your forum.
i have been searching the internet and have not found an answer to my problem. my problems seems unique ?

i have a 1990 k1500 4x4 with 5.7. sometimes when my a/c is on it will work fine for a while, then will only blow about 50% out of the vents. when this happens noting is blowing out of the top of the dash or by the trans tunnel. i can hear the blower blowing at full speed, but cant figure where the other 50% of the air is going.
last week, when everything was working fine, i marked the left side mode actuator, near the gas pedal under the dash, hoping to see if it was out of sinc when i would have this problem again, but when im getting only the 50% of air through the vents, its lined up with my mark, so i assume its not that actuator.
im also assuming my problem would not be the temp control module ?
i was under there today looking around, and found a third actuator on the right side, passengers side, very close to the blower motor. i think its called a recirculation module ?
could that possibly be my problem ?
it looks like its really hard to swap out, unlike the one on the left side ?
tomorrow, hopefully it will all be working good, like it usually does, and i will also mark the position of that actuator, hoping to see if its misaligned when i do have this problem in the future.
sometimes it will go for weeks or months without happening, but does seem to be more frequent now, like once a week. sometimes all i have to do is turn the a/c off, wait for 1 minute, then turn one and all is fine, other times i have to wait for longer..
any help and diagrams would be greatly appreciated.
thanks a bunch guys.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 4:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys,
i laid up under the passengers side dash today and that actuator really looks like a pain to change out. no room to get at the screws. i have marked the position its at when its working correctly, so next time it acts up, i will see where the shaft is in relation to my mark.
also i figured out that the next time it does act up, i will try cycling it through the three positions of defrost, vents, and lower trans tunnel vent, to see it i can "un-stick" it and get it blowing through only the vents.
just dont want to change it out, since its so hard to get to.
thanks