Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1990 C1500 - More Power Please

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2010, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 C1500 - More Power Please

Hey everyone, I just have a couple of questions and was hoping I could get a few answers.

I have a stock 1990 C1500 Silverado regular cab extended bed with a 350 EFI. I am looking for some performance mods that will give me better performance and acceleration.

I would like input on what parts you have used and that you know give good performance. I already know cam, intake, headers, etc. I am looking for some specific parts numbers on what you know to work well on your truck and what parts work well together. I am looking to do some cheaper mods, no complete overhaul, but most parts are within reason.

Also, does anyone have any pictures of their extended bed c1500? I was thinking of raising it a little bit and probably some larger wheels. Any good lift kits and/or wheel combos that you have and like?

Thanks.
Old August 24th, 2010, 7:52 PM
CF Active Member

the best mod is supercharging and camshaft but, megga bucks $$$$, there is no such thing as "cheap bolt on Horse power" poney up the bucks or get out of the game. I do hate to be cruel but that is the name of the game. or you could do like I did as a poor kid, "we were so poor I couldn't borrow a tree to **** behind" anyway I picked up a 1968 327 with a flat cam and burnt valves, then found a 300hp 350 with a blown bottom end, and built a killer 327, it was the fastest car in high school, notice I said "was" 1969 Chevelle's dont like to be rolled to well! you need to decide what you are after then we can narrow the field of options!
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tinbender59
the best mod is supercharging and camshaft but, megga bucks $$$$, there is no such thing as "cheap bolt on Horse power" poney up the bucks or get out of the game. I do hate to be cruel but that is the name of the game. or you could do like I did as a poor kid, "we were so poor I couldn't borrow a tree to **** behind" anyway I picked up a 1968 327 with a flat cam and burnt valves, then found a 300hp 350 with a blown bottom end, and built a killer 327, it was the fastest car in high school, notice I said "was" 1969 Chevelle's dont like to be rolled to well! you need to decide what you are after then we can narrow the field of options!

Yeah well I kinda know that supercharging will give me the most power, but it will also cost as much for a supercharger as it cost for my entire truck. No thank you. I'm willing to pony up some, but not that much.

I never said cheap bolt on power, what I'm looking for is best power for my money. I do know that a cam shaft is a good idea, which is why I asked for some recommendations for SPECIFIC cams.

I'm thinking, from summit racing:

cam and lifter kit
cold air intake
performance chip
intake manifold
shift kit

Body:
3in body lift
rocker pannels

I already have dual flowmasters
Old August 26th, 2010, 2:15 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by Waveblaster16
Yeah well I kinda know that supercharging will give me the most power, but it will also cost as much for a supercharger as it cost for my entire truck. No thank you. I'm willing to pony up some, but not that much.

I never said cheap bolt on power, what I'm looking for is best power for my money. I do know that a cam shaft is a good idea, which is why I asked for some recommendations for SPECIFIC cams.

I'm thinking, from summit racing:

cam and lifter kit
cold air intake
performance chip
intake manifold
shift kit

Body:
3in body lift
rocker pannels

I already have dual flowmasters
forget the intake not enough help in my book, you could get a performance intake for a carb and have a local machine shop build an adapter for the TB, the rest sounds good. but decide what you are going to do "realistically" with the truck, IE daily driver/play occasionally, just get it out to set the record straight??? then figure your power range that you need, I run mainly highway/launches/ pull a trailer occasionally, so I have the wrong cam!! now I get to spend 5 Francklin's to get it straightened out.
Old August 26th, 2010, 3:50 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a quickshift kit and it's cool.
If you are gonna put a forced induction system on, I would recommend a turbocharger, not a supercharger for several reasons.

You could up the throttle bodies and put in a big bore kit.

Be cautious about buying a performance chip though.
If the chip costs any less than a couple hundred bucks, it is a waste of money.
Any performance boost out of a chip that costs $20 or $40 would be
purely cooincidental.
Old November 28th, 2013, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Well in my beast I dropped a 89 3500. 5.7 into it