Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1990 c1500 tow conversion

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2014, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 c1500 tow conversion

Looking to turn my 1990 c1500 350 v8 2wd into a heavy load towing machine! I'm going to go ahead and rule out with you all that this was my grandfather's truck that has now passed and the truck I learned to drive in starting at the age of 7. So basically what it comes down to is that this truck is not going anywhere. I am wanting to turn the truck into a heavy load hualer it has the 350 v8 with a 4l60e transmission truck, has almost a 190k miles on it, everything original other than distributor and starter.I will be replacing the motor with either a new crate v8 350 or 383 stroker. I will also be replacing the transmission with either a new 700R or 4l60e transmission considering they're basically the same.I will also be replacing all suspension parts including rear axle and housing with 1990 3/4 ton suspension and rear axle with rear axle housing. A gooseneck hitch will be installed into the truck now my question for you all is I will be boxing in the C Channel frame to give a little bit more sturdiness to the frame but what are some other things that I can do to add strength to the frame. I have heard of adding a rear sway bar, I have also heard of upgrading the steering and control bar on the truck would be of use and just looking for a little more insight in what would be of use to what I'm doing. I would like to be able to haul a 30 foot gooseneck and will be turning my gooseneck into a toy hauler with living quarters for my family just looking for a little knowledge and advice. I would appreciate it and you guys have a good day. PS I would like to see the negative criticism keep to a minimal. I'm very serious and very focused on getting this project done. Ty!