Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1994 Chevy P/U won't start when hot outside

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2014, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Chevy P/U won't start when hot outside

I have a 1994 Chevy pickup w/ a 5.7L and an automatic transmission. For the last 2 years, when it gets hot outside (summer time), the truck won't start after you have driven it. All you hear when you turn the key is the solenoid click. (It doesn't do this at all during the winter) However, as soon as you jump it, it starts right up. I mean as soon as you hit jumper cables to the battery (from another car) it will start. There's no waiting...

In the last month I have replaced the battery, battery cables and the alternator. I am STILL having the same exact problem!!! It's like the battery is being drained down during the summer for some reason. I thought "Maybe it's got something to do with running the A/C".... so I turned it off for a few days and it didn't make a difference. I still had the same problem.

I keep a close eye on my temperature gage, and have never seen it go above about 200 or so. So I don't think it's an over heating issue.

I don't get what could be causing it and why it ONLY happens in summer???? This is the third summer of this thing doing this to me!

Any ideas??

Oh, also, the truck DOES do the same thing on cooler days IF I am pulling a trailer.