Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1994 chevy siverado with 5.7 L engine

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2014, 3:33 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 chevy siverado with 5.7 L engine

Hello everyone.Its been awhile since I last posted anything but i am back and hope to join the crowd more often.I wanted to ask a question regarding my 94 chevy silverado 5.7L engine.This morning when i was getting ready to come to work,the starter made a really bad noise,like when the bendix is not engaging.I got under the truck and while checking out the starter,I noticed that one of the bolts had broken off.I pulled the truck to my work since I have more room to work on it. The starter bolt is a 3/8-16 type.I used a left hand drill bit to try and remove the broken stud.That did not work.I than used a good quality extractor/easy out and no matter what i did,the bolt would not come loose.It must of gotten really hot because it will not come out.So,my next thing to do is to drill out the broken bolt.
My question is? Once I have the bolt out,is it better to retread the block for the new bolt or can I drill all the way tru and than put a longer bolt with a lock washer and nut.
Need some opinions please.I'm pretty sure someone here has been tru this problem before and can hopefully help.Sorry for the long post and thank you very much.
Mando
Casa Grande,AZ
Old December 12th, 2014, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can drill the bolt out, I would try to rethread her with a tap. If it was my truck I'd feel a little sketchy drilling through.