Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1994 k1500 help needed!!

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2015, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1994 k1500 help needed!!

I need some help with a couple of things that I can't seem to work through with this 1994 K1500 I recently purchased for my son. The truck has a 350, the MT8 5 speed (this is the one with LOW, 1, 2, 3, OD) and has basically NO options but it was in decent shape and only has 77kmi. I've done all the basics (Oil/Filter change; Air Filter; Fuel Filter; Plugs, Wires, Cap, Rotor) and a few other things (Ignition Coil, Electronic Spark Control Module, Complete New Exhaust System, Shocks, Trans Output seal, Pinion Seal, U-Joints, Shocks, .....) BUT i still have some issues that I cant get to the bottom of - The truck lacks power under load (starting in 1st, trying to accelerate without downshifting, climbing small grades, etc). The truck will just stall when sitting there idling and won't restart at times for a couple of minutes and I have no idea why. The engine bay gets SUPER hot even though the radiator and coolant are new, fan is fine, hoses good, thermostat seems to work as the hoses get warm after a few minutes so I don't know if the heat is causing an issue as well. AND I can't get the parking brake to work properly even after replacing the rear drums, shoes, spring kits, wheel cylinders, parking brake cables - the parking brake lever attached to 1 shoe on each side gets hung up when tightening the cable and i don't really see how they are suppose to work (they are NOT the Duo-Servo type) and it seems like there should be a return spring somewhere to help the pedal go back up when the release is pulled. I just want to be able to put my kid in this thing without having to get a phone call every day saying he's broke down - HELP
Old August 24th, 2015, 7:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the fuel pump pressure. It should produce between 10-13 lbs of pressure. Also you might want to advance the initial timing, try it at 2 degrees BTDC, and need be you can advance it to 4 degrees BTDC. I have my 95 5.7L set @ 2 BTDC and it helped.

Here is a diagram of the rear brakes hope that helps.
Old August 25th, 2015, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks! I'll try to test the pressure and mess with the timing a bit andsee what happens
Old September 6th, 2015, 2:46 PM
CF Beginner

maybe check for exhaust obstruction?
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like a engine control module , fuel pump or fuel filter.Whens the last time you`ve changed the fuel filter?
Old September 7th, 2015, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

The exhaust system is new including 1 manifold from front to back. I changed the fuel filter when i got the truck home and started working on it. I also drained all the gas out of the tank and refilled with 91oct Non_Ethanol and i'm 1/2 way through the second full tank.
Today I changed the EGR Valve, EGR control module thing, Throttle Position sensor and IAC Valve ALONG with 2 new injectors. I can't get the truck to quit on me anymore on the couple of 15 min trips i've gone on BUT now I really notice the lack of power under 2,000 RPMs and when I try to quickly stomp on the accelerator, there is a major hiccup then it fights through it and revs fine from 2000 and up