Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1996 Transmission Issue!!

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2010, 1:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1996 Transmission Issue!!

Recently had to remove the heads due to either a cracked head or a blown head gasket.. Truck ran fine before.. drove it into garage, tore it down. Never pulled the block out or did anything to the tranny. Put it back together, it is off time by a tooth or 2 but will start and idle ok.. was gonna take to shop to have it timed correctly so when i put it in gear to drive it i get no response from the tranny at all. I have checked shifter linkage, fluid levels are good, tranny fluid does not have burnt smell to it, rechecked all wiring harness connections, unplugged battery for more that 10 minutes to reset sensors.. and still no response.. it is an electronic controlled transmission so would the timing being off send an error message to brain and thus not allow transmission to engage? maybe lack of vacuum on intake due to off time sending bad message to brain which in turn controls transmission shifting? Please help I am at a loss now!
Old October 13th, 2010, 4:40 PM
CF Active Member

hmmm, i would rule out vacuum problems because you should get some sort reaction out of the truck, this is very interesting, ive heard of opposite problems due to intake problems but the truck wanted to shift to soon, i really dont think it would be the timing.....i do not see why it would prevent it from shifting into first atleast, if it was a vacuum issue then id expect it to not want to shift out of a gear rather then not want to go into gear at all, if it starts and idles then the timing isnt off enough to make that much of a difference, what reaction do you get from the brakes, those are vacuum powered too so if the brakes dont work then it could be a vacuum problem, i know im just rambling but im brain storming, it could be some sort of transmission problem that just happened to fail when you took it apart
Old October 13th, 2010, 8:22 PM
CF Active Member

I may be wrong but I believe the electronic part has to do with shifting up only, line pressures and down shifting. with that being said check the linkage out, may have been knocked loose durring rework? if you took the linkage loose and moved it out of your way, you may have inadverntly pulled the shift piston out to far (internal) and the "link rod" may have came loose, it will still have detent as that is on the shifter shaft. it almost has to be a mechanical issue some where check fluid level with motor off and then with motor running. it should go down some when running, if not you may have lost the front pump or the filter may have fallen off????