Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1997 silverado electronic key not being read sometimes

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2010, 11:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 silverado electronic key not being read sometimes

My truck first had this problem a year ago and it has started to get progressively worse. when my truck wouldnt start one day i realized it had to do with my electronic key, somehow it was in the receptor but it wasnt being read. i went to my autoshop teacher and he gave me a couple of paperclips and explained the if i used a paperclip to connect two wires of the four wires on the terminal that was connected to the electronic key receptor it made it so i didnt need the electronic key in to start the truck. this worked fine for a few months but now sometimes it doesnt start even with the paperclip in place, i took the paperclip out and tried it with the electronic key in and it still didnt work. if i tilt the electronic key upwards while it is in the receptor it worked for a little but now that doesnt even work sometimes. when nothing works and i am trying to start the car and i tilt the electronic key upwards i hear a click that comes from under the hood on the passenger side everytime i tilt it upwards. when nothing works i wait a few hours and it works without the paperclip. this problem occurs randomly but i deliver pizza and i cant have a truck that works only three quarters of the time. i think i need the whole electronic key system either replaced or removed but i dont know what it is called or if that is really the problem. can someone help me?