Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1998 chev 1500 intermittant start problem

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2013, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 chev 1500 intermittant start problem

Starting at the beginning.
1998 Chev 1500 2 wheel drive 5.7 auto. 335000KMS

About 6 months ago the truck developed a problem.
When coming to a stop sign the truck would die. Turn the key and fired right up. It does not always die when it comes to a stop. very erratic.
The fuel pump was noisy so I replaced the pump. This did not cure the dyeing when coming to a stop problem. I can be coming off the highway after a 4 hour drive or taking the truck to the corner store. Might happen once every 30 stops or while the truck is idling.

I replaced the Fuel pump relay under the hood. this had no change.

Now another problem has surfaced. If I don't drive the truck for a few weeks.
I turn the key on, The fuel pump won't start to prime for 3-5 seconds and the engine will fire but die right away. I turn the key off and on again. 3-5 seconds and the fuel pump cycles and the engine starts.
sometimes as many as 4 or 5 trys then Runs fine.
Once it is running, I go to put it into gear and it will die. After I have driven it this does not happen.

I can drive it for an hour and then leave it idle. The odd time it will die but fires back up.

Would a blocked fuel filter or crank sensor have anything to do with this.

Check engine light is now on and the code shows an 02 sensor. But the truck was doing this before the check engine light came on.

any thoughts
Thanks
In advance.
Old November 19th, 2013, 7:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teamamc
Starting at the beginning.
1998 Chev 1500 2 wheel drive 5.7 auto. 335000KMS

About 6 months ago the truck developed a problem.
When coming to a stop sign the truck would die. Turn the key and fired right up. It does not always die when it comes to a stop. very erratic.
The fuel pump was noisy so I replaced the pump. This did not cure the dyeing when coming to a stop problem. I can be coming off the highway after a 4 hour drive or taking the truck to the corner store. Might happen once every 30 stops or while the truck is idling.

I replaced the Fuel pump relay under the hood. this had no change.

Now another problem has surfaced. If I don't drive the truck for a few weeks.
I turn the key on, The fuel pump won't start to prime for 3-5 seconds and the engine will fire but die right away. I turn the key off and on again. 3-5 seconds and the fuel pump cycles and the engine starts.
sometimes as many as 4 or 5 trys then Runs fine.
Once it is running, I go to put it into gear and it will die. After I have driven it this does not happen.

I can drive it for an hour and then leave it idle. The odd time it will die but fires back up.

Would a blocked fuel filter or crank sensor have anything to do with this.

Check engine light is now on and the code shows an 02 sensor. But the truck was doing this before the check engine light came on.

any thoughts
Thanks
In advance.
If your fuel pump is being delay by three to five seconds ,it sounds like this would be a good place to start looking for the problem. Check your relay for corrosion and do a pressure test on your fuel line.