Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

1998 k2500 issues

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2014, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1998 k2500 issues

....Appreciate any & all input in advanced....

It seemed to begin as I left my truck running while pumping 50$ in gas....went in to pay, came back out, and my gas gauge is literally upside down, doing 360's, only time it stops is when I accelerate because the oil pressure needle stops the motion.

>> Soon after, when I turn my key, sometimes it acts as if the battery is dead. Turn the key back to the off position, and crank again and it fires right up...
> I'd say this happens 6/10 times I start my truck.

>> Furthermore, roughly every 4th or 5th start, my truck shifts EXTREMELY hard, and the MPH gauge stays at 0 until I hit around 4th gear, then it typically fly's up to where it's suppose to be as far as mph goes...
It shifts so hard that it literally throws ya forward a little bit...
> I'd say this happens 4/10 times I start my truck.

Check engine light is NOT on, truck is in fairly decent shape otherwise (fairly low miles) Tranny hasn't had any issues, fluid a little dark, but shifts perfect otherwise. I've been busy as hell & have yet to get any decent input on this, the min. wage workers @ part stores don't know much about anything.

I'm far from a mechanic, but I've considered potential Fuel Filter? something similar? not really worried about it just need to get this **** fixed.

Thanks
- Tim
Old March 13th, 2014, 9:09 PM
CF Beginner

Tim,
I've had similar issues (well a few). The gas gauge issue just sounds like your sending unit is going out. You can replace those, which I'm going to do soon. When my truck (good shape 90k miles) gets below a quarter tank it is all over the place. Had to replace fuel pump in my 92 K2500 at 120k miles or so, so I'm expecting to do that soon. New fuel pump comes with sending unit.

Have had the electrical (plays dead) issue at startup just a few times. But I've noticed it and couldn't pin it down. After turning the key back to off it worked fine. Puzzled, but haven't thought much of it, since it's only happened a few times.

Good luck. Hope someone helps you more than i did. Hopefully I can benefit from their suggestions too.

Byron
Old March 13th, 2014, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Tim,
forgot to mention that I replaced my fuel filter a few months ago. I was mainly was hoping to improve mileage on my 5.7. Was getting ten or less! After changing fuel filter, plugs and air filter I'm still getting poor mileage (just filled up and it was 9!). Might as well still have that 98 454 that pulled my trailers so easy by comparison. (needed the four doors though)

a new fuel filter couldnt hurt, if you havent changed one in a while.