Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2000 K2500 5.7 Vortec problems

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 K2500 5.7 Vortec problems

Completely at a loss. I'm having a hard time gettin this thing to start after it sits for more than a couple of hours. 2000 K2500 4x4 crew cab, 110K on the ticker. Fuel pressure is at 60psi. New fuel pump relay. Pump is running and is only 6 months old, no visible leaks anywhere that I've found. USUALLY I can turn the key, let it turn over a few times, turn the key back to accessory and let the pump run again, then crank it again and it'll start the second time, BUT not every time. This led me to believe it was losing pressure but not the case. This morning it almost killed the battery, then started up and ran like a top. That said, after I get it started, there's no hesitation, stumble, miss, or seemingly any fuel problems no matter where on the tach I'm running it. As a whole, it seems to run as strong as it ever has in the 20K that I've owned it. It DOES seem a little sluggish on certain days though and probably could run stronger. HELP!! Thanks very much!!
Old October 29th, 2008, 3:19 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2000 K2500 5.7 Vortec problems

I have the same truck in 2wd.

At 100K they are scheduled for a complete tuneup. Have you done that using all AC Delco parts? Was the fuel pump you installed a Delco pump?

Guess you have tried turning ignition on for about 20-30 secs and let fuel pump build up pressure before trying to start engine. (just to see if it is losing pressure after it sets for a few hours).

Had a few problemswith mytruck over the years, had to take it to GM service to have the codes checked. Their machine would pickup a code even though the engine service light never came on while the truckwas running. (auto parts dealers code readers would not pickup codes)

Turn the ignition to the on position and be sure the engine service light is working.

The problem with my truck was transmission related, however, if I turned the truck off, let it set for about 20 seconds then restarted the truckran fine. GM tech said the computer reset itself, that is why truck operated fine after ignition was cut off.

Only cost $35 to have GM tech check codes, but it was worth it to fine the problem. I had to have torque converter replaced.

Good luck,